Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chikki2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2004, 06:27 PM
    1991 civic ex cuts off while going 65 and won't start back up!
    First of all i am female...dont know to much about cars. The other day i was going about 65 mph and my car just cut off....I got it to the side of the road and it started up but then cut right back off. Then about 6 hours later we went to get it and it started up fine. The next day it did the very same thing. But this time it blew a big puff of black smoke out of the exhaust pipe. I changed the fuel filter because thats what a mechanic said it was but it wasnt....it still doesnt work. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. thank you.
    sasquatch_tattoo Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2005, 05:34 PM
    Have you checked your fuel pump? Sometimes a faulty fuel pump will act erratically, most newer cars have the fuel pump in the gas tank now, next time this happens try tapping the tank lightly with something firm, maybe use an old shoe as not to damage the tank, turn your car into the "on" position, not fully starting the car with the key, and see if you can hear the fuel pump coming on. You can also disconnect the fuel line in the engine compartment and turn the key on and see if you are getting fuel, but be careful, and use a small jar or can, so as not to let fuel drip onto anything. If there is no sound, or any fuel coming out, more than likely it's your fuel pump that has problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Not getting spark so I checked the distributor. The blk/yel and wht/blu for battery voltage. Both had voltage. Checked the Blu and what body ground for continunity. Neither had continuity. Any idea why neither blu going to the ECU or what going to the TAc wouldn't have continunity>

94 Civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, this one has really aggrivated me so I am hoping that someone can help me figure out the problem and fix it. I have a 94 civic, manual (5 speed), that was broken into recently. When I got it back the ignition assembly was punched and useless. I purchased a new one and put it in place of...

Civic won't start... please help [ 2 Answers ]

It kind of happened over the course of the day.. like I realized it was taking more to get it to start and by the end of the day my civic wouldent start anymore... so first I thought it must be the fuel pump or the ditributor... so I bought a whole new distributor assembly and cap and new spark...

My 1991 civic doesn't want to start [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1991 honda civic dx that won't start I just changed the whole starter including the offset gear that is attached and changed the 50a fuse that is under the hood no response everything comes on in the car but starter doesn't respond at all I can push start the car but in dire need...

95 civic won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I just recently rebuilt the engine in my 95 civic... about a week later the radiator blew and I replaced that... now about 2 weeks later my car suddenly won't start... one day I leave the gym after working out and it won't start... I first thought the gas gauge was wrong so I just put in some gas...

View more questions Search