Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Epicurian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
    What rights does a tenant in NY has in the absence of a lease?
    I am a tenant renting an apartment in a private house and my landlord did not give me a lease, said it was not necessary. Now she has given me 1 month notice, staing effective NOV 1, the rent will be increased by $75, also I hve to pay the same amount towards my security deposit. I am currently paying $800, utilities not included.

Do I have to pay the diffrence towards my security deposit?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 12:16 PM

You are a month - to - month tenant. As long as it falls within the laws of your state, either you or the landlord can make changes with 30 days notice to one another. If there's not agreement, then you are basically terminating your tenancy.

There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link to the laws of each state for you to review.

You can always find a lease you're comfortable with and present it to her. She may or may not go for it, but personally, I always think it's better to have a written contract. Even if it's just month - to - month.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurian View Post
    I am a tenant renting an apartment in a private house and my landlord did not give me a lease, said it was not necessary. Now she has given me 1 month notice, staing effective NOV 1, the rent will be increased by $75, also I hve to pay the same amount towards my security deposit. I am currently paying $800, utilities not included.

Do I have to pay the diffrence towards my security deposit?

She has to give you notice in the same time frame you pay month - if your rent is due the first of November she had to give you notice prior to the first of October.

But, yes, on a month to month the terms can be changed at any time.

Sounds almost like constructive eviction - she wants to force you out without the need to go to Court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Rights/Responsibilities With No Lease- State of Florida [ 4 Answers ]

I have lived in the same apartment complex for three years and signed a yearly lease the first two years. Due to the oversight of new management, I was not asked to sign a current lease and have been living (and paying rent) here without a current lease for over six months. What kind of notice am...

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Rights of a tenant who signed a lease on a foreclosed property [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of Florida. On 6/20, I signed a one year lease on a property that I did not find out was in foreclosure until I paid my July rent. I gave my landlord 1st and security. I am still living in the property. My landlord has never called me nor informed me of the auction which will...

Lease termination and tenant rights (California) [ 13 Answers ]

I need an interpretation of these two clauses on my rental agreement, or if anyone knows a lawyer in the Orange County area that can provide some help (preferable cheap help) in this type of matter. The lease is for a 1 year period. No date is circled on the signed lease. &

Tenant rights, no lease, in California. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everybody, This forum seems to have a lot of knowledgeable people. I would appreciate some advice on my situation. Last November, I moved into a spare bedroom in a house with some other college students here in San Diego. The lease is signed by 3 people, but only 1 of them still lives...

View more questions Search