Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCoder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Tenant rights, no lease, in California.
    Hello everybody,

This forum seems to have a lot of knowledgeable people. I would appreciate some advice on my situation.

Last November, I moved into a spare bedroom in a house with some other college students here in San Diego. The lease is signed by 3 people, but only 1 of them still lives there. We agreed I could stay for 1 year (enough time to finish school). Well, I've never met the landlord; I made this oral agreement with the other tenants only. I pay 675/mo (out of 1675 total).

There are a couple problems, and I'm not sure about the legalities:

1) One of the previous tenants' boyfriend (she is still on the lease) let himself in last month. The girl has not lived here for almost 1 year, though. We contacted her, and she said, "I told him he could go in." Is this legal; can she really just come in and allow others, too? Do we have recourse against these intrusions?

2) One of the current tenants and I have not been getting along. I'm afraid of being kicked out. Is not being on the lease hurting me here? I won't be able to move out for at least 2 months, and I'm afraid of being thrown out on my butt without notice.

Thanks for reading, your responses/advice are much much appreciated!

-Joe
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 07:46 PM
    The tenants who signed the lease are breaking the lease as they moved out. Her boyfriend should not be there, period, if she is not there. Since you are not on the lease, you can move tomorrow if you want to and not owe any more rent and not be in any trouble legally, and that's what I think you should do, get out of this before you do get in some kind of trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Rights/Responsibilities With No Lease- State of Florida [ 4 Answers ]

I have lived in the same apartment complex for three years and signed a yearly lease the first two years. Due to the oversight of new management, I was not asked to sign a current lease and have been living (and paying rent) here without a current lease for over six months. What kind of notice am...

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Landlord Tenant Rights and Laws in California [ 2 Answers ]

I found a home to rent in Sacramento, California of which is a 12 month Lease. I moved in Sept 01, 2007 and at the time of move in the Landlord himself wasn't present instead it was his brother and collected the move in costs at that time. His brother also had me sign the lease and stated will have...

I'm the tenant scaramento,California [ 7 Answers ]

What Happens To The Tenant In A Foreclosure?

View more questions Search