Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericeatman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Tenant Rights/Responsibilities With No Lease- State of Florida
    I have lived in the same apartment complex for three years and signed a yearly lease the first two years. Due to the oversight of new management, I was not asked to sign a current lease and have been living (and paying rent) here without a current lease for over six months.
    What kind of notice am I required to give now that I want to move?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Hello eric:

Their oversight is going to work well for you. You are a month to month tenant. As such, 30 days is just fine. I'd do it in writing.

excon
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 22, 2008, 02:01 PM
    While I hesitate to disagree with excon since is advice is always so good, in this case I must.

Read your former written lease very carefully. If there is anything in there that says you are required to give more than 30 days notice of your intention not to renew, then that still applies and you must give the same amount of notice now.

That's because the terms of a previous written lease are still in effect after the lease ends, except for the term. You are a month-to-month tenant, but at the same terms and conditions of your previous lease.

If your lease does not mention any times for giving notice that you do not intend to renew, then 30 days applies.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Jan 22, 2008, 02:49 PM
    In absence of any prior lease conditions... landlord or tenant need only give 15 days notice to terminate a month to month tenancy at will. This is Florida statute 83.03.
    annmarie23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
    Hello anyone, my sister has no lease and the landlord is in foreclosure and bankrupsy he told her to stay as long as she wants also he's in the middle of a divorce if the ewife comes what are her legal rights in Florida to as how long she has legally there are children involved thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting A Tenant In Florida (no written lease) [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine has rented a room out in his house to a evil woman and her teenage daughter. My question is how can he evict her without a signed rental lease?

Tenant responsibilities [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a mobile home park, my landlord has been asking everyone to sign a new lease. The new lease states that everyone living here has to build a porch onto the mobile home They live in. I can not sign this new lease as I feel that it is not my reponsibility to improve his property to that...

Foreclosure on house I live in key west Florida what are my rights as a tenant [ 3 Answers ]

I live in key west Florida irecently receive a notice in the mail stating July 31 2007 there will be an auction forclosing the property I live in. so do I have any right to remain in the house . The proerties aren't selling well in key west right now I'm assuming the bank will buy it then try and...

Question on Tenant Rights / State of Virginia [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question regarding tenant's rights and the law in the state of Virginia. I am currently involved in a dispute with another tenant in the complex where I live in Henrico County. I have contacted the landlord on 11 occasions regarding complaints of excessive noise coming from the tenants who...

Florida Landlord Building Code Responsibilities [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter recently signed a lease for her first apartment. The lease states that the apartment will be accepted "as is". However, I feel there is a building code problem. The apartment is on the second floor, and there is a small deck/balcony - wood constructed. The deck suffers from major...

View more questions Search