Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hiarpita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 05:26 PM
    International Grad Student: New Hampshire income and Massachusetts residence
    Hi,

I am a Grad student from India and I have received income from my university in New Hampshire. My current permanent address is in Massachusetts, though I have not received any income from Mass. Can anyone suggest me whether I need to file state tax return? If yes, will it be Form 1 or Form 1-NR/PY?

Thanks,

Arpita.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Arpita:

You DEFNITELY have to file for New Hampshire, because that is where you earned the income.

Your student status probably saves you from having to file a Massachusetts return, as visiting students are normally exempt from residency rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage for International Student [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a international Student from Hong Kong, and I am recently in love with a American. I want to know if I get married, will I change my status to a US citizen? Or will I be able to work in US and pay for in state tuition fee? Thanks, V.

International student taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am currently working for a firm as part of my optional practical training, and work between 20-30 hours a week. I am being paid on the books, and am required to file my own taxes. Which form do I use? When do I file? Also, the company keeps sending me a W-9 Form which states specifically that...

International student becoming resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA as international student (Ph.D) in 2001 August. Which year I can become a resident alien for tax purpose as a student. How is the calculation made? Thanks a lot.

Source of income different from state of work and residence [ 1 Answers ]

I was in F1- OPT from feb 1 of 2005 and got employed by a firm in NJ and am working as a IT tech support for a client in Nashville ,TN. I have been living in TN for about an year now. I have been paying the federal tax (15%) and also the NJ state tax till date. From August I have transferred to an...

View more questions Search