Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miriam185 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 07:43 AM
    International student taxes
    Hi I am currently working for a firm as part of my optional practical training, and work between 20-30 hours a week. I am being paid on the books, and am required to file my own taxes. Which form do I use? When do I file? Also, the company keeps sending me a W-9 Form which states specifically that I as an international student are not to fill it out. How does the company have to add me to their accounting? I am only part time without benefits as of now. Can I exceed 20 hours in a part time position? Please answer soon. Thank you very much. Miriam
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 10, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Miriam:

It sounds like you are being paid under Form 1099-MISC as an independent contractor. You would file Form 1040NR and Schedule C. No self-employment tax will be due because you are a student under the F-1 visa.

The form has to be filed no later than 15 April 2007, but no earlier than 1 Jan 2007.

You DO have to fill in the W-9 so they can put your Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for the Form 1099-MISC. If you do not have one, send a W-7 to the IRS requesting the ITIN. You can download the W-7 from www.irs.gov.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Student Advising - University level [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to be an international student advisor at a university. So far I have 2 years experience in this area, but would like to know what master's degree or professional program I should also take. (have a BA in English Language and Lit. speak Spanish, South Slavic Languages -- Croatian,...

Marriage for International Student [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a international Student from Hong Kong, and I am recently in love with a American. I want to know if I get married, will I change my status to a US citizen? Or will I be able to work in US and pay for in state tuition fee? Thanks, V.

1099 taxes for Indian F1 student [ 7 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert Thank you in advance for your time. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping everyone out. I am currently an undergraduate student, on an F-1 Visa. I am studying in MA and am a citizen of India. I arrived in the US on August 2003. Starting from my freshman...

International student becoming resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA as international student (Ph.D) in 2001 August. Which year I can become a resident alien for tax purpose as a student. How is the calculation made? Thanks a lot.

View more questions Search