Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vso822 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 11:18 PM
    Marriage for International Student
    Hi, I am a international Student from Hong Kong, and I am recently in love with a American. I want to know if I get married, will I change my status to a US citizen? Or will I be able to work in US and pay for in state tuition fee?
    Thanks, V.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 07:12 AM
    No marriage does not automatically give you any change of status. I know many couples that it will take years after they get married to get US citizenship. And no it does not automatically give you any visa to work. I have a friend who has been 2 years trying to change their student status to a work status.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 10, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Eligibility Requirements: Until the actual marriage takes place, the fiancé(e) is considered a non-immigrant. A non-immigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose. A fiancé(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original non-immigrant admission. After the marriage takes place, the foreign national may apply for Green Card through Marriage to become a United States citizen... you need to apply for a green card and wait the necessary time...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Student Advising - University level [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to be an international student advisor at a university. So far I have 2 years experience in this area, but would like to know what master's degree or professional program I should also take. (have a BA in English Language and Lit. speak Spanish, South Slavic Languages -- Croatian,...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

International student becoming resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA as international student (Ph.D) in 2001 August. Which year I can become a resident alien for tax purpose as a student. How is the calculation made? Thanks a lot.

View more questions Search