Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TTM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 06:54 PM
    401K Closure/Cancellation
    I work as a vendor for a large corporation who pays my salary thorough a smaller "outsourced" company. At one point we were offered a matching 401k benefit plan. After about two months, some people in the company (me included) were told that our contract had been re-negotiated and for us, the 401k benefit was no longer available. At that time my contribution came to a whopping $500.

Since it was such a small amount and I don't intend to roll it over as I'm still with the company, I want to obtain the funds and close the account understanding that there will be some fees involved. I asked my company about it and they said that it couldn't be done, only if I were to quit or get fired. When I called the 401k company they said it was possible but I would need to obtain the necessary form from my company. :confused:

Ok, call back to my company and they again say that it's not possible and then they add that they are not even the administrators of the account another company is, but all of my paperwork says otherwise.

How can I close this account?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2007, 01:14 PM
    If the 401K is no longer being offered, you should be able to access your money; the matching funds may not yet vested to you, however.

Keep after your payroll department to get an asnwer. Once it is determined that you can get the money, I recommend you roll it over into an IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closure letter [ 7 Answers ]

I was thinking today about the first half of the relationship was very good and how much fun we had... I also remember during that point, she was the one getting me cards and writing me emails and things of that nature. I hardly wrote or gave her anything, and in that sense I think I messed up...

Cancellation of lease in Texas [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We have to move from our current apartment to another state due to work transfer,our lease ends in July and in the lease form it does not state how much we have to pay for early cancellation.is there a law that explains termination of lease due to job related issues?

Closure? [ 31 Answers ]

Hi everyone, After being here for a while and reading and offering advice mainly on relationships I often hear the word closure used. I know in essence what it means, but what I want to know is what does it really mean, and does one ever really achieve it? For example when someone comes...

Free-standing noise cancellation? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend without a computer is wondering Whether there's a noise cancellation system That can stand by itself in the middle of an Apartment near a freeway. She really can't Picture herself wearing headphones all the time She's at home. Anyone know of a free-standing Device that...

Cancellation of debt [ 3 Answers ]

Help- I have been disputing a debt on my credit report for three monthes. They have finally taken it off and I received a letter in the mail yesterday saying they were turning it in to the IRS. The amount of debt cancelled was 1805.55 and the interest is 0.00. However it says "do not report a...

View more questions Search