Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    footballerswife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Cancellation of lease in Texas
    Hi,
    We have to move from our current apartment to another state due to work transfer,our lease ends in July and in the lease form it does not state how much we have to pay for early cancellation.is there a law that explains termination of lease due to job related issues?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Hello wife:

At the top of this forum, you will find the landlord/tenant laws for Texas. I would look there.

However, I don't believe you'll find such a provision. People are generally held to their agreements - even if something comes up.

excon
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 9, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by footballerswife
    Hi,
    We have to move from our current apartment to another state due to work transfer,our lease ends in July and in the lease form it does not state how much we have to pay for early cancellation.is there a law that explains termination of lease due to job related issues?
    A buy out is not mandatory upon a landlord. Your lease is a legal agreement and you are obligated to pay the rent each month for the duration of the lease, or until someone else rents the apartment. If you leave, and the apartment is not rented to someone else, you are responsible for the expenses to find and sign a new tenant and any expenses the landlord incurs to renovate (paint, clean etc.) and make ready the apartment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2007, 07:59 PM
    I wonder where you got the idea that there was an early cancellation clause or that there was a law that allows early termination for a job move.

Have you talked to your husband's employer? If they are transferring him, they may have a program to take care of this.

First talk to the employer, then talk to the landlord and see what they say. If the apt is in a desitrable area where they would be no problem renting it, they may let you out just charging you until they re rent. Or you could sublet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legalities of a Texas Apartment Association Lease [ 23 Answers ]

Is a TAA (Texas Apartment Association) Lease valid if it is not signed by both parties? The copy of the lease I have that was provided to me by the management copy is not signed by them. Does this void the terms of the contract lease?

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Breaking lease due to Corp relocation in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Recently got new position which requires relocation. 1 year lease began Aug 2006 but must relocate by Feb 1 07. What can I expect in terms of breaking the lease ?

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

Cancellation of debt [ 3 Answers ]

Help- I have been disputing a debt on my credit report for three monthes. They have finally taken it off and I received a letter in the mail yesterday saying they were turning it in to the IRS. The amount of debt cancelled was 1805.55 and the interest is 0.00. However it says "do not report a...

View more questions Search