Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joentinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 07:21 AM
    Cancellation of debt
    Help-
    I have been disputing a debt on my credit report for three monthes. They have finally taken it off and I received a letter in the mail yesterday saying they were turning it in to the IRS. The amount of debt cancelled was 1805.55 and the interest is 0.00. However it says "do not report a cancelled debt as income if you did not deduct it but would have been able to do so on you tax return if you had paid it. Also, do not include cancelled debts in your income to the extent you were insolvent." So my question is since I have disputed this debt and it was removed do I have to file taxes on this. I just returned back to work the end of December. I was off work all year and did not make enough in December to file. Any help with this?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Joentinc:

If you have been off work for 2005 and currently do not have enough income to file, report the $1,805 as "Other Income" on Form 1040. You will pay no taxes on it (your personal exemption and standard deduction will cover it) and you will be covered in case it comes up in the future.

If you use tax software and the addition of this $1,805 makes you eligible for the Earned Income Credit, over-write the value on the software and file your return via the U.S. mail. Claiming the EIC with this income would not be proper.
    joentinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Thank you. Another question... I have spoke with my local IRS office and they said that I needed the actual 1099-C from the company in order to file on it. All I have is a letter for my records showing that they have cancelled this debt. I do not have a 1099-C to actually send with my taxes. I know they have to have it postmarked by 1-31. What happens if I do not receive one from this company?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 07:13 PM
    Contact the company in question to find ot if they are going to issue one.

Either they will or they will not; either way, it will not affect you tax-wise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free-standing noise cancellation? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend without a computer is wondering Whether there's a noise cancellation system That can stand by itself in the middle of an Apartment near a freeway. She really can't Picture herself wearing headphones all the time She's at home. Anyone know of a free-standing Device that...

Who's Debt Is It? [ 3 Answers ]

My -H- and I were married for 21 years. During 99.9% of that time, I didn't work outside the home at his insistance! In fact, he threatened, several times, to divorce me if I got a job due to his fanatical belief in children needing a parent at home and his distrust of day-care. Three years ago,...

Need help to get out of debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a new immigrant to USA. After I just arrived, I accidentally involved with a scam (I now think it's a scam) and ended up now having about 65K debt (15K from bank, and 50K from credit cards). The money I made right now can barely cover the minimum payment after my regular living expense. I...

Need to get out of debt! [ 2 Answers ]

I am so nervous. I have a lot of debt and I don't want to have to file bk. Especially now that laws have changed it makes it more difficult. I am usually a very responsible perosn and I hate the fact of pushing my financial responsibilities onto other people, but due to some perosnal situations I...

Old debt [ 1 Answers ]

I had an old credit card debt from 1999, someone apparently bought my debt and now is suing me in county court what can I do am I legally bound to pay this I am not even sure that I paid it before

View more questions Search