Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nascentnut Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Stipulations in a lease vs. law when breaking a lease
    I'm breaking a lease with my landlord 6 months in (I'm moving out of the country). I've found someone to take over the lease immediately upon my departure. I informed my landlord 5 weeks prior to the point where I'd be breaking the lease. The landlord has (three weeks later) informed me that they will charge me a $400 paint fee and $100 service/processing fee. This is stipulated in the lease, although I asked them to forgo, since there has been minimal wear and tear on the apartment (i.e. it doesn't need to be painted) and I found another tenant. They're not budging.

Although it's in the lease, is it legal for them to charge "paint fees" and "processing fees" as a matter of course? They've never once looked at the apartment. In fact, I've never met or spoken to the landlord. All correspondences have been conducted through the superintendent.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Yes, it's legal for the landlord to charge these fees. This is something that is the subject of negotiation between the landlord and tenant (whether or not the landlord is actually willing to negotiate it) so it is not illegal.

However, since the landlord is charging you fees that are due at the conclusion of the lease term you should make sure that you are released from the lease in writing when the new tenant takes over the property. If the new tenant is taking over as a sublet then the landlord is not entitled to charge those fees since the lease has not ended. If the new tenant is signing a new lease then they can charge the fees but you have to make sure you get released from the lease in writing, the property must be inspected and you must get your security deposit back (minus any costs for damages and the above fees).

Aug 15, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Thanks lisa. I guess that gives me the answer I didn't want.

Just one more question. Does a fee for painting have to be reasonable? If there are points in a lease that are unreasonable (e.g. "Tenant must pay for landlord's dining charges after until a new tenant is found"), is a tenant bound to it because it's in the lease. In other words, why is a paint fee legal, if it's unreasonable (apartment didn't need painting after I spent one year in the apartment, but does after another six months)?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Unfortunately there's not a "reasonability" requirement. It's assumed that you had the opportunity to negotiate these terms and that you could go elsewhere if the landlord wasn't willing to negotiate.

It's possible that the town requires that an apartment be painted for each new tenant and the landlord has chosen to pass this fee on to the tenants as part of its business policy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Just remember that YOU signed the lease. That signature was your agreement to all the terms and conditions listed therein. So, if the landlord wanted you to pay his expenses to do a walkthru and you agreed to it, then you have to pay.

Aug 15, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Thanks scott. But again, they're agreed upon in the context of the law. The lease does not supersede the law. The law may be silent on this particular issue, in which case the lease is binding. That's what I wanted to know; the law.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 15, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Here is the law in a nutshell: Contracts are enforced as written unless unclear, ambiguous or illegal.

Fees in lease agreements are proper unless the fee is designed to be a penalty. The repainting fee applies whether you break the lease or not, so it is not a penalty.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nascentnut
    thanks scott. but again, they're agreed upon in the context of the law. the lease does not supersede the law. the law may be silent on this particular issue, in which case the lease is binding. that's what i wanted to know; the law.
    A valid point, But I know of no state laws that resttict what fees can be written into a lease. The only ones I know of restrict the amount of security deposits but not fees.

Aug 15, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieMae
    Here is the law in a nutshell: Contracts are enforced as written unless unclear, ambiguous or illegal.

Fees in lease agreements are proper unless the fee is designed to be a penalty. The repainting fee applies whether you break the lease or not, so it is not a penalty.
    I guess I wasn't clear about the "paint fee". According to my lease the paint fee only applies if the tenant breaks the lease. So perhaps it can be seen as a penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Kentucky Law: Breaking a lease! [ 5 Answers ]

I got a job out of the state of Kentucky and I want to know,if by law I have a right to break the lease without any legal problems?

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Fl Law on Breaking an Apt lease [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to find out what is the law in Florida when you have to break an apt lease upon purchase of a home? Is it mandatory to have to give a notice?

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search