Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drumbiz Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 11:21 AM
    How to run msconfig?
    Scottgem said to try running "msconfig" in an effort to delete a pop-up that appears every time I start my computer. Scottgym, you'll probably be shaking your head in disbelief, but I don't know how to run msconfig--where do I find it? Consider me in the computers for beginners pre-school. Can you help this computer "infant"? My computer has windows me millennium edition. Thank you for your help.

Every time I submit this question, a note "please use fewer capital letters" appears on the screen--i've now changed my entire question to lower case in an effort to sumit this new question.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Dec 4, 2008, 05:39 PM

Lol it's funny that it tells you to keep the caps down... I never use them... anyway, start/run/type msconfig/go to startup tab/look for anything suspicious to disable/when you reboot, just close the msconfig window if it comes up again
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:00 PM

START > RUN

Type in msconfig in the Run box.

On the Startup Tab, go through and uncheck things you KNOW you don't need. If unsure, ask here.

This was easier to accomplish using the program CCleaner:
    CCleaner - Download

Dec 4, 2008, 06:16 PM

If they don't know how to run msconfig, they probably wouldn't try to download and install ccleaner. I realize we're playing with dynamite when it comes to new users.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 08:07 PM

No, programs like CCleaner are designed for novices. Just installing it and running it as is the first time it runs does wonders for a system. There is no reason at all the fear suggesting CCleaner.

On the other hand, I'm not as confident of other similar products.

Dec 5, 2008, 10:46 AM
    My sincere thanks for your help. You said, "start/run/type miconfig"--To show you how little I know I couldn't even find "run." Anyway, I went to search and typed in miconfig and found the system configuration utility, went to "startup" and found/unchecked the registry cleaner pro pop-up that has been bugging me. Your simple suggestion was a tremendous help to me. Thank you for sharing your computer knowledge with beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by cogs View Post
    lol it's funny that it tells you to keep the caps down... i never use them... anyway, start/run/type msconfig/go to startup tab/look for anything suspicious to disable/when you reboot, just close the msconfig window if it comes up again

Dec 5, 2008, 10:54 AM
    My sincere thanks for taking the time to answer my question. On my computer I couldn't find run, but after I went to search and typed in msconfig, then went to search for files or folders, application, system configuration utility and then startup, I was able to uncheck the pop-up that has been pestering me. You're blessed with a good brain and I really appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    START > RUN

Type in msconfig in the Run box.

On the Startup Tab, go through and uncheck things you KNOW you don't need. If unsure, ask here.

This was easier to accomplish using the program CCleaner:
    CCleaner - Download
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2008, 11:48 AM

First, instead of starting a new thread, you should have just posted follow-up to the previous one. That's why I missed seeing this.

Second, I suspect you have Vista, which doesn't have the RUN command on its menu. You really should mention what version of Windows and software you are using.

But you did find that typing a command in search will run that command. Glad to hear you have it straightened out.

Dec 7, 2008, 08:44 PM

Thank you scott... also, when trying to type in commands, one can use the command prompt(dos prompt) to manually do this. It usually looks like a black icon with a 'c', and is called 'cmd.exe'.
    mdbacon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Sorry if you have already worked this out.. but a great program for beginners to use is easycleaner:
    Official ToniArts software pages

You can manage start up programs and clean your registry in the program and it is incredible simple.. I personally use it about once a week :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Msconfig access denied [ 4 Answers ]

When I go into msconfig and go to start up, whenever I attempt to change something I get access denied "log in as administrator" I am logged in a administrator. I am running a Dell Dimension XPS 600 with XPmedia edition. Any help will be welcome. Lou

Msconfig Item Definitions [ 3 Answers ]

Where do I find the abbreviation definitions and their meanings listed in msconfig?

Deleting things from msconfig startup [ 5 Answers ]

I have a compaq computer, running windows xp, and using internet explorer. I've gone to msconfig and unchecked several programs so they won't load at start up. Some of them have loaded up again so what I want to know is it OK to delete the programs from msconfig that have no check mark in the box...

Regedit, msconfig [ 4 Answers ]

Hi , My problem is that my registery and msconfig files has been deleted by my anti virus as it was infected . So I am not able to enter it from run command . So is there any way to go to regedit n msconfig . If so it will be helpful for mw n everyone :confused:

Msconfig and regedit Win XP pro [ 1 Answers ]

When I open msconfig or regedit, the applications run for a few seconds then automatically close (in the admin account). They run OK if I boot into safe mode. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

View more questions Search