Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Labbe83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Bathroom supply lines from floor, drain through wall
    Hi, I just came across this website and I'm hoping someone can help.

We are trying to put a new sink/vanity into our first floor bath. The water supply lines come up through the floor and the drain goes through the wall. All the vanities I have found can accommodate the back but not the floor. I understand I can cut holes but I'm wondering if I can move the pipes into the wall. Its an outside wall so is this way they would put the pipes in this way? The pipes continue up to a second floor bath and then back through the floor to that sink as well. Any advice? Would really love if I could get a vanity with some storage to it but it doesn't seem like its going to be an option.

I live in Mass and if we can move them we will be using a professional, just wondering if this is something worth getting involved in.

Thanks for any help!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 4, 2010, 12:03 PM

Labbe83...

No water pipes in any outside walls... pipes will freeze and burst in Massachusetts.

If you have a vanity you may be able to cut the pipes and relocate them closer to the wall in the kickspace under the vanity and then pop up in the closer to the wall. That is about all I could recommend.

Otherwise, you could build a soffit box from floor to ceiling in the corner and try to relocate the pipes that way... could come through the sides of the vanities on both floors.

What kind of pipes do you have, copper, galvanized, brass? Let me know...

Copper pipes can be cut and relocated under the vanity kickspace and then installed into the vanity close to the wall... but not in the wall as mentioned.

Mass. Has some of the oldest plumbing in the country and this setup is actually quite common. Here, people either build the soffit and relocate the pipes or leave pipes exposed on the inside wall. There are no fixtures/vanity bases to accommodate this setup... need to cut and relocate or live with it as is!

Any questions just let me know... OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper wiring for 240V elec wall heater with two 120V supply lines [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older 240V 1000W electric wall heater (no fan, built-in thermostat) which has 2 gray wires for attaching incoming supply. One gray line goes through the thermostat then on to one end of the heating coil itself. The other gray line goes directly to the other end of the heating coil. ...

Clawfoot tub solution for wall supply lines instead of floor [ 4 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement and in the bathroom we are putting in a clawfoot tub. My husband put the supply valves in the wall because he was afraid of freezing in the floor. But because of this we cannot find any supply lines that come from the wall they all come from the floor. Is there...

Running Supply lines to the new bathroom in my unfinished basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a full bath (w/shower stall) in my unfinished basement. I need to run supply lines for the toilet, shower, and sink from the laundry room which is adjacent. The current lines are C-pvc. I guess my question is: 1) What is the best way to run the lines? And what size should...

Basement bathroom install, testing supply lines [ 4 Answers ]

Need some help. I'm a novice at plumbing but pretty handy. I am installing a bathroom in my basement. I will be tee-ing off the main 3/4" copper supply lines with 3/4" CPVC via sharkbite connectors. The 3/4" lines will feed cold and hot water to the bathroom. Here they will be split to...

Can I run Supply lines in outside wall [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NJ and am remodeling a bath. Can I run my supply lines to the shower in an outside wall? If so any recommendations or hints concerning this?

View more questions Search