Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mathleteggg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Function representing all points equidistant from.
    1. Find a function to represent the set of all points equidistant from the point (-1,3) and the line y=7

2. Find a relation to represent the set of all points equidistant from the point (2,3) and the line x=-1

I don't get this at all and cannot find help online or in my textbook
    Any help would be sooo much appreciated
    Thank You:D
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 07:20 PM

Ok, have you tried drawing the graphs, the point and find a region equidistant from the line and the point?

Here's your line and point. I labelled your line y=7 a, your point (-1, 3) A and the function b
    Attached Images

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 07:25 PM

You'll see that any point on the line y=5 will he equidistant from both the line y=7 and the point (-1, 3)

In fact, what is it by calculations?

You find the equation of the perpendicular line that passes through the line y = 7 and the point (-1, 3). You then find the midpoint that line where is crosses your line and your point. You'll obtain (-1, 5). You now only need to write the equation of a line, parallel to your original line, passing through the midpoint you just got.

Now try doing the second question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find the critical points for this function? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find the critical points for this function: f(x,y)=x^2+y^2+(1/x^2y^2)

The result of increasing and decreasing function on the composite function [ 6 Answers ]

I was asked to prove the result of increasing and decreasing function on the composite function... prove that: 1- if f(X) inc & g(X) inc, foG inc 2-if F(X) inc & G(X) dec, foG dec 3- if F(X) dec & G(X) inc, fog dec 4- if f(X) dec & G(X) dec, fog inc please help me in that

Cost Formula Representing the slope of the line [ 10 Answers ]

All right So I am a bit confused. The question I am working on right now states the following: You are applying the scattergraph method and find that the regression line you have drawn passes through a data point with the following coordinates: 7,500 units and $10,000. The regression line...

Stepmother is representing herself as the mother [ 6 Answers ]

My kids step mom has represented herself as being there mom on Medical forms, school documents, etc. I've got copies of the medical papers where she signed as there mother and was able to get my son treated. What can be done? I have full custody and my ex only has the children every other...

How to Find Equidistant [ 3 Answers ]

Yeah I really don't know how to do this: A point is equidistant from points A(2,1), B(2,-4), and C(-3,1). Find its coordinates. Help! I need somebody! Not just anybody! Help! (Beatles :D )

View more questions Search