Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PcTechSupport Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 08:47 AM
    How to connect a PC to the Internet
    Hi Everyone,

Here is the situation. The Pc is far from the DSL modem like 2Km, what are the possible ways to connect this PC to this DSL Modem ? What devices will be needed & how much it would cast? How the data will be transmitted ?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2008, 09:17 AM

You can't connect a PC 2 KM away to a DSL modem. Why not get another DSL connection where the PC is?

Nov 7, 2008, 09:33 AM

Actually There is no DSL where there I live So I can' get another DSL where there is PC. Could you please tell me what are the methods available for me to connect this PC to that Modem? What devices can be used? How much they would cast?

Thanks

Nov 7, 2008, 09:47 AM

There is no way to connect a PC to a DSL model 2 kilometers away. That is way behind the range of an Cable run or WiFi.

So your options are either cable, satellite, local hotspot or cellular.

Nov 7, 2008, 10:06 AM

Can we use 2 routers one where there I've my DSL & the other one at my home?? Is this possible?? If yes then how much they cost?

Nov 7, 2008, 10:08 AM

NO. Again, the 2 PCs are out of the range of WiFi or a cable run. You have to find some other way of connecting the PC to the Internet. Once you do that there are several ways to connect the two PCs depending on your needs.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2008, 10:44 AM

Satelllite modems and Cellular Modems. Sat. modems may require a phone line too. Downlink data is via sat. Uplink vi 56K modem.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 10, 2008, 06:50 AM

I would definitely try the satellite Internet access with either Dish or Hughes Net (DirecTV).

This would be very expensive. You can use Single Mode fiber optic cable with a transceiver at each end to convert the fiber to UTP cable (1000BASE-LX/LH to 10/100/1000BASE-T). Single Mode fiber is good to 5km at Gigabit speeds and up to 20km at 100 Mb/sec speeds.

Not including the cost of burying the fiber or attaching it to arial poles every 200 feet, you are looking at a cost of at least $30,000.

Another option is to use Microwave Antennas. At a price of about $15,000 to $20,000 and assuming you have a clear line of site from point to point, you can easily achieve the 2km distance. Take a look at Redline Communications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot connect to internet! [ 1 Answers ]

I just found this website and it looks very reliable! So I am hoping for the best! :) We have bought a Netgear Rangemax Next Wireless-N Router that we bought to connect all of our computers together. We have one desktop and two laptops. Our desktop and one laptop connect fine, but the Dell...

Connect Internet through Hub. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a three PC and one siffy connection. All three PC connected to Hub. I want to connect all three PC to Internet.

IE7 cannot connect to the internet. [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday morning I went to use IE7 and it kept giving me "This webpage cannot be displayed". When I clicked on the diagnose connection problem link it tells me ports 80,443 and 21 are behind a firewall. I have no firewalls installed. IE will let me on the web in safe mode. I can also access...

My PC won't connect to the internet! [ 10 Answers ]

Hey!! Recently my partner has moved in and I have their PC it hs never had the internet on before so I took my ethernet out my laptop and run my blueyonder broadband cd in the PC. And pluged the wires in to the PC when instructed to when it came to connecting it the error message poped up...

View more questions Search