Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kateebebe Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Deadbeat Father requests to reduce arrears?
    I've been served after 8+ years of abandonment by my daughters biodad. He owes over $10,000 in child support. He is taking me to court to reduce child support (which he doesn't pay anyway? ), Medical Support (I provide 100% med and dental, he is not ordered to pay this because I never trusted that he would, so I just said I'll take care of that), daycare, and the best ARREARS??
    My big question is, Can he really ask for his arrears to be reduced? Do I have to provide documentation for the last 8 years to prove costs , etc.

Thanks for the help. I really don't know what to go into this with. Minnesota just started this new system effective Jan 1 that now it takes both parents incomes into consideration when determining support. Which for someone like me is bad, because he works mostly for cash and hasn't filed taxes in... ever. So as far as they will be concerned, he makes 0.00 a year??
    What should I do?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 7, 2007, 05:33 PM
    He has to pay these $ 10000... but unfortunately for you he has right to ask to reduce his support.He has to make out his case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 08:00 PM
    He can request almost anything he wants, but in general the judge will not allow it, but with that said, their can be exceptions to anything.
    It is not what you spend that is the judge of the support, it all has to do with earnings and the states formula to determine support, for example in our state the persons who has to pay support, his income is all that matters as to how much they pay, in some states both persons pay is reviewed for a fair amount. If he believes the formula was wrong for several years. But then you should have an attorney and file to have him declared in contempt of court for not paying and being behind and ask for him to be jailed for being in contempt

So you get an attorney and go after him hard.
    kateebebe Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Thank you for your answers. As of Jan 1, our state adopted the both parents pay law for determining support. He has worked for cash most of his life and I have a full time job that I've been at for many years at pays twice a month. No next to him, I am the breadwinner. He works for a temp job and makes 9.00/hour. He is a 34 year old man in perfect health. Is there a way they can take that into consideration as potential income. Im sure he'll get it reduced, cause it is high. He never showed up for the hearing after cancelling 2 times, so on the 3rd time, judge was pissed off.
    Uggg.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ssdi social security disability arrears in Oregon state [ 6 Answers ]

First post ,I see some of you look to be getting some help so I thought I would ask a question that no lawyer that I have talked to yet can answer . I have been out of work for 7 yrs do to a disability all along racking up arrears I had a few meadeations administrative hearings and...

Salary in arrears [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a UK citizen, working in the UK. I have just left a job, where my contract stated I was paid a month in arrears. However, the previous employer believes that he has paid me what they owe and says I wasn't paid in arrears. What is the position I am in? Should I be able to claim this...

Special requests [ 17 Answers ]

OK I know that you all don't know me-but I am in desperation right now. I've been going through some really tough times in my life and believe it or not, I feel like God is angry with me... maybe for making some bad decisions, I don't know. But every decision I make is for nothing but the best of...

Help my brother is a deadbeat [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a bit. It seems like you guys give pretty good advice and I could really use some. This is going to be long, I apologize in advance. Mom history: I think my mom is an enabler or a co-dependent, I'm not sure which. I think it...

View more questions Search