Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    e23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Landlord renting an apartment
    Good morning.
    I'm renting out an apartment and found someone that I liked and told her she could have it. I then didn't hear from her for a few days, so I posted the add asking for higher rent. I've gotten a lot of inquiries and since then the girl has gotten back to me asking when she can sign the lease.
    If I find someone else to rent it at the higher rent, can I tell her that I have changed my mind?
    I don't have to give it to her right? She hasn't signed a lease.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jan 1, 2009, 06:59 PM

Of course legally you can, but did you put a time limit on when you needed her to get back to you ? Did she understand there was a time limit? Was it really just "a few days" you waited for an answer, or was she unreasonably late in getting back to you?

I'm thinking the right thing is to give her the apartment, but the exact details of your discussion and the follow -on activities make a difference here. When in doubt, be nice. You will sleep better.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2009, 07:05 PM

Since you posted this in the ethics forum, then my response is you made an offer. Unless a time limit was placed on that order, or you informed her you were advertising the unit then ethically you made a commitment to her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Denial of renting an apartment due to something on credit report [ 2 Answers ]

What are the reasons on a credit report that would deny someone from renting an apartment even with a cosigner and double/triple the rent as downpayment? Thanks!

Renting an apartment tax deductible? [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking a job that is over 100 miles from my home (where my wife and 2 kids live). I don't want to relocate, or displace them from a great school district. To take this job, which is not commutable distance, I plan to rent an apartment close to work for the week, and commute between that...

Renting the Rooms in Apartment [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Please let me know about what all are the responsibilities of landlod while renting the rooms in a town house to the professional people. :confused: Regards Sumit

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

What if your landlord sales the home while you are renting? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a rental agreement until 10/30/2006. We just found out that our landlord has sold the house. I know our contract is still good until Oct. but could we move out without penalty or does our contract transfer to the new owner? We live in Florida.

View more questions Search