Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmclaurin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Renting an apartment tax deductible?
    I am taking a job that is over 100 miles from my home (where my wife and 2 kids live). I don't want to relocate, or displace them from a great school district. To take this job, which is not commutable distance, I plan to rent an apartment close to work for the week, and commute between that apartment and my house only on weekends. Besides the unfortunate nature of the situation, is there any tax benefit here? Can I deduct the rent from my taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
    No, you can't deduct the rent - sorry. Nor can you deduct the cost of traveling between your home and the new job location. I am assuming here that you are an employee of this company (not an independent contractor), that the office in the city 100 miles away is your primary office, and that this isn't some sort of temporary assignment by your empoyer.

Here is a link to the IRS web site that gives info on deducting costs as an employee:

Tax Topics - Topic 514 Employee Business Expenses
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Agreed! If the job was temporary (less than a year), then apartmet rent and other per diem costs MAY be deductible, providing you met certain criteria.

However, based on your posting, you are out of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting the Rooms in Apartment [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Please let me know about what all are the responsibilities of landlod while renting the rooms in a town house to the professional people. :confused: Regards Sumit

Apartment rent as deductible expense for H1B tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am living and working at chicago in H1B status. My employer is at New Jersey. Can I claim my apartment rent of $1250 as expense for the purpose of itemisarion? I have been living at chicago for the last 3 years. Thanks, Thomas

Sdi tax deductible? [ 1 Answers ]

Is nys sdi tax tax deductible on my federal return? On the instructions for schedule A it states that any mandatory payments to the non occupation disability benefit fund in NYS is deductible. Is SDI & this fund the same thing?

Tax deductible? [ 1 Answers ]

Are personal items that were appraised and taken to a dealer for sale with the money going to the trustee to dispurse tax deuctible.

View more questions Search