Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jypettiford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Help mini to adjust
    Mini is a 4yr old chihuahua,I have had here since she was 5 weeks.Mike is 9 weeks and got him 2 days ago.Mini avoids Mike and he just runs to her wanting to play and she wants no part of him.What can I do to help Mini adjust?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 02:16 PM
    I am afraid there is no easy answer to this. Put a couple of puppies together, and they will have a great time play biting each other. Most dogs out grow that behavior as they mature at 3 years old. In addition, Mike is an intruder taking up your time and attention. Support Mini when Mike attacks her. Give him an ''Ut, ut, ut!'' in a quiet firm voice, and distract him with a chew toy the same as you would when he bites you. Mike will find it hard to believe that none of his new pack wants to play like his litter mates did.

We are on our third new puppy since Aster the grouch turned 10 years old and came to live with us. It is a constant battle. Yesterday we were together with 4 puppies about 2-10 months old. Our 4 month old Nita had a great time. I was surprised how much Aster wanted to be running around with them as long as they left her alone. It would be better if Mike does have a chance to play with younger dogs. They must be carefully selected, healthy ones. No shot program provides puppies complete protection.

''Dog experts'' really don't have that many simple tricks to easily fix problems like this. There are some tools including crates and head collars that make a big difference. Mostly it is a matter of realistic expectations and consistency. If a dog never gets its food until it sits quietly, it quickly learns to sit quietly. So with other things.

Do make sure Mini gets plenty of attention, perhaps even more than she was getting before Mike.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini dauschund [ 5 Answers ]

My mini dauschund has just started constantly licking and more so scratching herself all the time. She never used to do this and now she's doing it so much she's starting to scratch herself bald in spots. How can I make her feel better so she stops? Please help.

Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone who can answer this... I am a recent first time mini Doxie owner and was wondering why she has gained up to 9 pounds @ only 6 months of age. I take her for 2-3 mile walks everyday. She eats 2 sometimes 3 times a day (@ recommended servings) depending on activity level. I can't help but...

Mini doxy [ 3 Answers ]

I have a mini doxy, I work and have to leave her in a crate she cries and of course it makes me sad she just turned 7 weeks old 3/13 she sleeps with my husband and I she wakes up 1 or 2 times a night to potty we have a potty pad near, my question is how old until she can make it through a night...

Adjust Well Pressure [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to adjust the pressure on my well. It is at 60 when the water is off and it "starts" when then pressure hits 48, I need to get it down to 40. There are 2 screws I have adjusted both screws, both counter clockwise and clockwise. Neither one seems to lower that pressure. They raise or...

Adjust Withholdings Advice [ 1 Answers ]

I recently read one of the topic on this site regarding adjusting your withholding to pay the least amount of Tax to IRS. My question is that how would I know that my withholding are correct with my employer/ Any advise Thanks Nitin

View more questions Search