Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pegs babe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 04:56 PM
    I have a mini doxy, I work and have to leave her in a crate she cries and of course it makes me sad she just turned 7 weeks old 3/13 she sleeps with my husband and I she wakes up 1 or 2 times a night to potty we have a potty pad near, my question is how old until she can make it through a night without us having to get up,and leave her in a crate at night I don't want her to have an accident in her crate and then not want to go in there anymore
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2006, 06:46 PM
    It varies, and may be different for such a small puppy. The Labs we have brought home at 7 weeks usually took 2-3 weeks before they were sleeping through the night. There are ways of reducing problems from accidents in the crate as I explain below. Many people struggle with housebreaking. With much of the poor advice around, it is no wonder. I am going to post what works for me and many others.

Much of housebreaking is not training the puppy, but making it easier for your
    Puppy, you, and your carpet while its body to catches up to its instincts. At
    Around 8 weeks when the puppy goes to its new home, the time from when it
    Realizes it has to go, and when it can't wait any longer is a matter of
    Seconds. Only time will fix that. You can hardly be expected to be attentive
    Enough to avoid all accidents There is no sense punishing the puppy for your
    Inattention. It is not fair to punish you either, but you still have to clean
    It up if you didn't have the puppy outside in time.

Housebreaking starts before you get home with the new puppy. If you don't have
    A crate, buy one. I prefer the more enclosed, den like plastic ones. Skip the
    Bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking
    Hazards. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of
    Accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely
    Spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. If you
    Already have a metal crate, covering it may help. Just make sure you use
    Something the puppy can't pull in and chew. Dogs that start in crates as
    Little puppies, accept them very well. Never leave an unattended puppy loose
    In the house. If nobody can watch it, put it in the crate. I suggest letting
    The dog have its crate all its life.

Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays,
    The less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a
    Non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it
    To the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep
    Repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. If it does anything,
    Praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it,
    And maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it,
    But it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it
    Inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to
    Go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine.
    Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, take it back
    Inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the
    House until it does go.

At first it is your responsibility to know and take the puppy out when it
    Needs to go. It needs to go out the first thing in the morning, after eating,
    Drinking, and sleeping. If it quits playing, and starts running around
    Sniffing, it is looking for a place to go. Take it out quickly. You will just
    Have to be what I call puppy broke until it is a little older.

By the time most dogs are about 3 months old, they have figured out that if
    They go to the door and stand, you will let them out. The praise slowly shifts
    To going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If
    Your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it
    Even gets near the door. A stern "Bad dog!" is all the punishment that is
    Effective, and only when you catch it in the act and are sure you didn't miss
    It going to the door. Clean up accidents promptly. I mostly keep the little
    Puppies out of the carpeted rooms. Still I need the can of carpet foam
    Sometimes. First blot up all the urine you can with a dry towel. Keep moving
    It and stepping on it until a fresh area stays dry. A couple big putty knives
    Work well on bowel movements. Just slide one under it while holding it with
    The other. This gets it up with a minimum of pushing it down into the carpet.
    This works with even relatively soft ones, vomit, dirt from over turned house
    Plants, or anything else from solids to thick liquids. Finish up with a good
    Shot of carpet foam. Note, do not let the puppy lick up the carpet foam.
    Once the dog is reliably housebroken, your carpet may need a good steam cleaning.

Many people strongly strongly push cleaning up all evidence of past accidents. I am slower to suggest that. Dogs will return to the same spot if they can find it. When you see one sniffing the spot, that is your clue to run it out.
    chaser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 08:28 PM
    I also have a 7 week old mini doxy and I was told today that potty pads should not be used because it teaches the puppy to pee inside the house. We just got 23 inches of snow this weekend and I worry that my puppy will freeze and not use the bathroom outside. Should I keep trying to take him outside because eventually I would like him to know to go to the sliding glass door. I do have the potty pads in front of the door though. I have heard so many different things and I don't want to teach my pup something that will be damaging in the future for me and him.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2006, 08:55 PM
    How cold is it? About 12 years ago it got down to 20 below here and it was a real setback for Aster that was just getting the hang of housebreaking. If it isn't too cold, you might clear a spot near the door.

If it is really frigid, the pads might be a good compromise. I am not sure I knew they existed 12 years ago. Learned a lot since then. Check my last post on using a spot and command. They really make a big difference. Much of what I read elsewhere leaves them out.

I was very happy with my 6 month old Nita on our walk downtown today. She urinated on asphalt on command. She got a lot of praise and petting for it. An important skill for an urban dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini dauschund [ 5 Answers ]

My mini dauschund has just started constantly licking and more so scratching herself all the time. She never used to do this and now she's doing it so much she's starting to scratch herself bald in spots. How can I make her feel better so she stops? Please help.

Mini Doxie [ 2 Answers ]

I have a mini Doxie who will be 11 months old shortly. She is just finishing up her first heat which has been 3 weeks. Her nipples are still swoolen and her bottom as well, but not nearly as much. The blood is gone. I've been told that when they go "clear" that is when they are fertile. How...

Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone who can answer this... I am a recent first time mini Doxie owner and was wondering why she has gained up to 9 pounds @ only 6 months of age. I take her for 2-3 mile walks everyday. She eats 2 sometimes 3 times a day (@ recommended servings) depending on activity level. I can't help but...

Help mini to adjust [ 1 Answers ]

Mini is a 4yr old chihuahua,I have had here since she was 5 weeks.Mike is 9 weeks and got him 2 days ago.Mini avoids Mike and he just runs to her wanting to play and she wants no part of him.What can I do to help Mini adjust?

How old is to old? Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old mini dashound. We are looking at possibly breeding her. How old is to old? Also she is a pure bread dog and the stud we are looking at is a dapple(? ) are they OK to breed together? Thank you

View more questions Search