Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princess420 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 10:32 PM
    Mini dauschund
    My mini dauschund has just started constantly licking and more so scratching herself all the time. She never used to do this and now she's doing it so much she's starting to scratch herself bald in spots. How can I make her feel better so she stops? Please help.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 18, 2006, 06:29 AM
    Have you taken your dog to the vet for a healthy check up, your vet can check for the simple things first like external parasites such as fleas, ticks, lice, or mites. Your veterinarian will evaluate the health of the skin and coat of your dog. Special shampoos, additional grooming, supplements, or certain diagnostic tests may be recommended. Dry skin can be a problem for older dogs, and again, fatty acid supplements may be beneficial. Your vet may also check for allergies. I did a lot of research on your question an obtained my information from a site called Pet Education.com. I hope that this was in some way helpful to you. (O:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Hi, princess,
    Please take her to your Vet. She could have allergies, could be something else. The answer before mine is very good.
    Sometimes, a dog will start licking one of the front legs, and just keep licking until it is licked to the bone, literally. The most commone reason for this is allergies.
    I am not a Vet, but just a dog lover and owner for over 50 years. Please see a Vet to know what to do. I do wish you and she the very best.
    lovesimon Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2008, 10:15 PM
    My dauschund does this to let us know he hasn't had enough exercise. We walk about 10 miles a week. They get too much nervous energy and need to use it up. It also helps with the barky bad habits. He turns into a content loose noodle after a long walk... about 4 miles. Go to the vet but I bet more exercise will alleviate the behavior. Best.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 5, 2008, 10:58 PM

I would also like to mention another important reason to get her to the vet. It could actually also be something else like a thyroid condition, or even diabetes. I don't mean to say that to scare you, but dogs just like humans, exhibit skin conditions like this when there is an illness or disease. Best of luck, and best to catch it early! :)
    nstewart1955 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 08:10 AM
    I agree... with the vet trip... it can be a corn allergy... it can be hard to find dog food without it... but you can... made a world of difference. No more itching

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dauschund [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a 9yr old dauschund and just came from the vet. She can't stand on her feet she falls down and rolls. The vet found nothing in her x-rays. I don't know what to do next. I can't see her this way. I have to hold her to potty and she won't go. What would you do? I really can't afford for her...

Mini Doxie [ 2 Answers ]

I have a mini Doxie who will be 11 months old shortly. She is just finishing up her first heat which has been 3 weeks. Her nipples are still swoolen and her bottom as well, but not nearly as much. The blood is gone. I've been told that when they go "clear" that is when they are fertile. How...

Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone who can answer this... I am a recent first time mini Doxie owner and was wondering why she has gained up to 9 pounds @ only 6 months of age. I take her for 2-3 mile walks everyday. She eats 2 sometimes 3 times a day (@ recommended servings) depending on activity level. I can't help but...

Mini doxy [ 3 Answers ]

I have a mini doxy, I work and have to leave her in a crate she cries and of course it makes me sad she just turned 7 weeks old 3/13 she sleeps with my husband and I she wakes up 1 or 2 times a night to potty we have a potty pad near, my question is how old until she can make it through a night...

Help mini to adjust [ 1 Answers ]

Mini is a 4yr old chihuahua,I have had here since she was 5 weeks.Mike is 9 weeks and got him 2 days ago.Mini avoids Mike and he just runs to her wanting to play and she wants no part of him.What can I do to help Mini adjust?

View more questions Search