Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prsmn2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Main breaker question
    My main box has 4 200 amp breakers connected together by a bar. I am wondering why there are 4, as opposed to just 2, or one ? I have a few 240v circuits, is this the reason ? Just curious...
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 12:47 PM
    Is this a residence? What is the size of the incoming service from the PoCo?

Can you take a picture of this configurations and attach it to this item via the "Advanced Features"

Oct 9, 2011, 01:22 PM
    It is a residence. I have no way to attach a pic, but the breaker(s) are stacked on their side, with a bar connecting all the switches.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 01:46 PM
    That is a 200A main breaker.
    What it actually is is two 100A breakers, in parallel, tied together, creating a 200A, 240v breaker.

Oct 9, 2011, 01:49 PM
    Looks like this, right?

Oct 9, 2011, 05:01 PM
    Yep, it looks like that STAN... so it is a double pole 220 breaker ? I should just pull the cover off the box to see how its wired... thanks guys for the info... I appreciate it..

Oct 9, 2011, 05:09 PM
    No, it is a double-pole 200A breaker.

You can pull the cover off, but I am not sure what it is you are looking for. If it has been working I would assume it is wired right. In fact, I can't see how it could be wired wrong in the first place.

Oct 9, 2011, 05:32 PM
    I guess what I am looking for is an explanation as to how it works... maybe this is a theory question... there are 2 busses in the box, so 2 of the mains are connected to each buss ?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Yes, there are two main buses. However they are out of "Phase" with each other.

That's how the 240V are created. Each phase is 120 V.

Their "Peak to Peak" voltage is 240V.

Oct 9, 2011, 06:01 PM
    In most aspects of electrical work, we do not use the sum of amperages. Meaning it is useless to add up the breakers in your panel. The results mean nothing.

In this case though, since there are two 100A breakers wired in parallel, the amperages are added together to create a 200A breaker.

It's a similar principle as paralleling conductors. Two conductors in parallel have twice the amperage as one conductor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NEC question: Dose a lighting panel require a main breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing 5 panels in a High Schoo (120/208v panels). All branch circuits feed lighting and receptacle loads. They are very old and also "main lug only". Do I have to have a main breaker in the new replacement panels? If so where is this in the code? Mike

What is always LIVE/HOT in main panel w/main breaker off? [ 4 Answers ]

We are going to be putting a dedicated 20A/12-2 wire receptacle in the basement for our treadmill. When we are putting in the new 20A breaker, we are concerned with what is 'live' in the service panel. I know the 2 service wires are hot before the main but is there a chance anything else may be...

Load Center Main Lug or Main Breaker for the Attic [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large attic (on 3rd floor), 38'x28', which is unfinished space. The 2nd floor central air-condition is located there and used to be fed by a 60 feet of 12/3 cable (I changed the cable to 10/3 to reduce the chance of voltage drop) and it's fed by a dual 15A breaker (240v breaker) in the...

Can I convert a main breaker Cutler Hammer loadcenter to main lug? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Cutler Hammer made a part to convert a main breaker load center (CH) style, to a main lug panel. If so, does anyone know the part number or can you refer me to a location where I could find it? Cutler Hammer's website is not too user friendly. Thanks

View more questions Search