Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Apr 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Hardening/sealing finish of old cast iron sink
    Hi there guys,

I'm helping some friends this coming weekend in their kitchen. We'll be pulling their sink, building some cabinets, replacing the countertop then reinstalling the sink.

During the week, they've been stripping some old paint/sealer off the sink with a heat gun. You know the paint that you use over discolored tubs and sinks that peels off in short order, leaving you with a larger mess than you started with? That stuff.

Underneath, the finish is better than you would expect, but the home owner states(I have not gotten to see the sink since stripping it) that if she looks very closely, that the finish looks pitted and that it feels to her that she could scratch the finish off with her fingernail. Note that she didn't try it, she stated that it just looked soft like that.

pic 1
    pic 2
    pic 3

The discoloration at the bottom is where the paint actually peeled off and the sink has been uncovered there.

Her two concerns are:

1) She doesn't want to damage the finish of the sink after all the work is done.

2) She doesn't want to have to scrub it constantly, as it seems that what she thinks is a pitted finish will accept stains and grime quickly.

My question is this: What's the best way to prep & protect a porcelain sink? Scrub it down with some pumice or a product like ceramabrite for cleaning I would imagine, but how about sealing? Is there anything that would help put her mind at rest?

Thanks,
    Json
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Bathtub and tile refinishing paint and product from NAPCO
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Apr 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Ok, let me be more clear. They didn't spend a week cleaning it up just to paint it again :)

If anyone knows of a sealer or protectant that is not a pigmented application of any sort, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Json

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips to relocate a cast iron, wall-mounted laundry utility sink? [ 5 Answers ]

Currently I have 2 laundry sinks mounted side-by-side to the wall, with a wall-mounted faucet centered above both. These are cast-iron, white porcelain American Standard sinks, 24"x 20" x 16" deep, with a 1 1/2" lip around the top edge. To add some much needed space to this area, I plan to...

Re-sealing pvc/iron drain pipe connection? (see pic) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Noticed the drain pipe leaking today in the basement whenever the toilet upstairs was flushed (sink/shower did not seem to make it leak). It was only leaking maybe 1/2 - 1 cup of water each time the toilet was flushed. Called a few plumbers. Only one got back to me so far. Said...

Sealing with cast iron hub donut? [ 10 Answers ]

Following the sage advice found on this site in other postings, I managed to remove the misshapen, rusted waste pipe that went from my downstairs toilet to the horizontal main line (cast iron). So now I have a cleaned out bell and test fitted a neoprene donut from Lowe's (4" to 3") and plan on...

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

Cast Iron Bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new cast iron tub to install in an alcove. The tub has feet hidden behind the apron to support the tub. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the easiest way of installation in the alcove?:confused:

View more questions Search