Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjroeb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Tips to relocate a cast iron, wall-mounted laundry utility sink?
    Currently I have 2 laundry sinks mounted side-by-side to the wall, with a wall-mounted faucet centered above both. These are cast-iron, white porcelain American Standard sinks, 24"x 20" x 16" deep, with a 1 1/2" lip around the top edge.

To add some much needed space to this area, I plan to eliminate one sink and move the other over about 14" to be centered under the existing faucet. I'm not able to view the mounting method to determine exactly how the sinks are attached to the wall, so before jumping in head first, I was hoping for some advise on what to expect - including any necessary parts - to pull this off. As an alternative, could this sink with it's narrow lip be dropped into a counter top?

The sinks are about 50 years old but in great condition, so there's no reason to go buy something new and far from being as good.

Thanks -
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjroeb
    Currently I have 2 laundry sinks mounted side-by-side to the wall, with a wall-mounted faucet centered above both. These are cast-iron, white porcelain American Standard sinks, 24"x 20" x 16" deep, with a 1 1/2" lip around the top edge.

To add some much needed space to this area, I plan to eliminate one sink and move the other over about 14" to be centered under the existing faucet. I'm not able to view the mounting method to determine exactly how the sinks are attached to the wall, so before jumping in head first, I was hoping for some advise on what to expect - including any necessary parts - to pull this off. As an alternative, could this sink with it's narrow lip be dropped into a counter top?

The sinks are about 50 years old but in great condition, so there's no reason to go buy something new and far from being as good.

Thanks -
    A photo of the drain connections would be helpful.

Knowing exactly how the two sinks are drained (continuous waste, floor mounted trap standards, yoked together etc) would tell us how to tell you how to proceed.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2007, 06:39 AM
    You sinks are hung from the studs and backing using cast iron hangers, ( later they used pressed steel hangers). Remove all the drainage back to the stubout and treat the sink like a new installation using whatever old parts that you can. Just make sure that you have enough backing to hang a heavy cast iron slop sink on. Good luck, tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You sinks are hung from the studs and backing using cast iron hangers, ( later they used pressed steel hangers). Remove all the drainage back to the stubout and treat the sink like a new installation using whatever old parts that you can. Just make sure that you have enough backing to hang a heavy cast iron slop sink on. Good luck, tom
    How is he going to do that if they're connected together with an integral yoke, a pre-cast continuous waste or a side inlet floor mounted trap standard?

If any one of the three is utilized, then the drain shoe size and sink hole size are going to be a manufacturer specific proprietary size, and given the age of the sinks, he's going to play hell finding something off the shelf that will work.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2007, 07:03 AM
    How is he going to do that if they're connected together with an integral yoke, a pre-cast continuous waste or a side inlet floor mounted trap standard?
    He can't. I'm just going on a typical slop sink hook up. If I'm wrong he'll let me know. But I gave him a option instead of a question. But growlers correct, to give you a definite solution a photo or a detailed description's going to be necessary. Regards, Tom
    jjroeb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Absolutely helpful. Thought of sending a photo too many hours after I posted. Thanks! Big help! PS: Drains through a standard P-trap with vertical tee to the 2nd basin, all held with slip nuts. My main worry was removal and re-mounting the fixture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall Mounted Toilet- General Questions [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy all, I'm on a roll today with the questions... The baseboard of my bathroom started deteriorating under my wall mounted toilet (hangs off the wall- nothing touching the ground). I assume the wax ring is ka-put. I need to replace it. I have a special wax ring made for wall hung...

Utility sink in laundry [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sin kin my laundry room. It is a new home and I am not sure what I need to do to add a sink in there. How do I do the plumbing?:confused:

Installing a utility sink in the laundry room [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I want to hook up a utility sink next to my washing machine on the first floor. The washer discharges into a standpipe. The standpipe has a trap, and then connects through a tee to a vertical waste pipe (drain stack?) that goes upstairs through the roof as a vent. Below this tee, there is...

Repairing hairline crack in 1920s utility (laundry) sink [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house that has an old concrete double basin utility sink. The right basin has a hairline crack and leaks water. I'd hate to sledge and remove it and was hoping this is fixable. Any suggestions?

Installing Utility Sink in Basement Laundry [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sink in my basement laundry. Can I hook the drain into the Stand Pipe for the washer? Or, do I have to hook it into one of the other main waste stacks that drop from the main floor above?

View more questions Search