Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2011, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by christinades View Post
    What did the lawyer lie about? I'm getting a restraining order in place for my husband and I so he can't contact my lawyer and he can't come near us when we go back to visit our family in CT through the holidays. He's definitely a threat to me and my husbands marriage and he's threatened my husband many times with his life. The lawyer at JAG told me to file for sole and physical custody, child support and a restraining order.

You cannot get an order keeping your "ex" from contacting your Attorney. Your husband cannot get an order keeping your "ex" from contacting your husband's Attorney. That Attorney can file a charge of harassment - but I see no grounds for a restraining order. You are not a party to the "ex" and Attorney communication.

He's a threat to your marriage? That doesn't qualify, either. He's a threat to your person? He's a threat to your husband's person? Then file - but "Califdad" brings up a good point. You have to file in the State that has jurisdiction.

To sum it up - you cannot get a restraining order on someone else's behalf. Your husband needs/wants an order? He has to get it. You can't. Who advised you to the contrary?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2011, 07:18 AM
    He has a right to defend his self in court action and can not be barred from being in court where a case involves him.

If there is a real proven danger ( don't see anything even close to even warrant a restraining order) he may have restrictions on him in court.

Also you can file for one, maybe even get a temp order but your ex has a right to a hearing on the restraining order where you will have to prove the need for one.
    christinades Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
    @judykaytee- when I said "my husbands attorney" I meant SGT. I know I can't get a restraining order against him for somebody else?

And the attorny told me to file here in ny, I can do it in ct but its much easier doing it here so I don't have to drive back and forth to ct with my son. How could they reject it if I'm filing for sole and physical custody and child support within the state that I live in?

What I mentioned to my attorney about his abusive background he said I can file for a restraining order and my question was if I had the restraining order against him does it ban him from going to the court hearing, physically. Im just getting information so I know what to expect and any question that pops into my head that I didn't ask JAG I'm asking on here. I understand that I can't get a restraining order against him for my husband. Im having my husband file. I feel like I'm just getting the wrong information, this site tells me one thing and JAG told me another.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by christinades View Post
    @judykaytee- when i said "my husbands attorney" i meant SGT. I know i can't get a restraining order against him for somebody else?

And the attorny told me to file here in ny, i can do it in ct but its much easier doing it here so i dont have to drive back and forth to ct with my son. How could they reject it if im filing for sole and physical custody and child support within the state that i live in?

What i mentioned to my attorney about his abusive background he said i can file for a restraining order and my question was if i had the restraining order against him does it ban him from going to the court hearing, physically. Im just getting information so i know what to expect and any question that pops into my head that i didnt ask JAG im asking on here. I understand that i can't get a restraining order against him for my husband. Im having my husband file. I feel like im just getting the wrong information, this site tells me one thing and JAG told me another.

Call the jag tomorrow and ask him what State is your legal residence?

If he says NY then file away. If he says CT then just know that all your doing now is just a temporary ploy to get the child away from his father.

You will still be stuck with filing in CT if that is the State designated as your legal residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Father Is Not Biological Father - How Do I Change The Birth Certificate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question, I have a 9 year old. I'm married and my husband's name in on the Birth Certificate of my 9 year old. I would like to tell my daughter who her real father is. I called her bio father and he does not want to do the DNA to see if it is his daughter. What are my options? Can he...

Putting biological father on birth certificate, and changing name back to biological [ 8 Answers ]

My mom and my stepfather are deceased and I'm an adult and want my biological father and my name changed back to his name since it was done without his consent, he is still alive and agrees. Can the courts do this?

I want my non biological father taken off my birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

I want my non biological father taken off my birth certificate, how can I do this? Does he need to know? How much does this cost? I don't no who my really dad is, but the man on my birth certificate is a bully and I'm scared if he finds out he may turn nastey on my mum. Please help.

Biological father not on birth certificate [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old son, his biological father has never been in the picture, the man I am with now has been with my son since he was 1. We got his name legally changed on his birth certificate to my current husband last name and also added him on the birth certificate. Does his biological father...

Non biological father on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting ready to have a baby and the biological father is not exactly taking part. He has dropped out of high school, he is unemployed, and couldn't provide the proper care for a baby. I am getting legally married before baby is born and my baby will then have my husbands last name. Can my...

View more questions Search