Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2010, 06:31 PM

Have you tried to set boundaries with him -- "It's not all right that you continually bring up your deceased wife, no matter what the subject. I love you and your children with all my heart, and I am the woman who is alive and in your life now. We will honor [Joanne's] memory on the appropriate occasions, but not in frequent and everyday conversations. If you cannot honor me and respect my wishes in this, our relationship is over."
    mommy55 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    I think that it is very important that he realizes just how much of his life he is living in the past, and how he is allowing the past to cloud the present and the future.

I'm also wondering if this is perhaps some sort of defensive mechanism, in that while he keeps you at arm's length, he does not have to face or cope with the reality that you too, may leave him. Investing in loving someone may be something he does not wish to do.

If he does understand how you feel when he talks about her all the time, and shares these thoughts openly with you, and he understands that it simply makes you uncomfortable (it would me too, you have the patience of a saint), then he needs to start talking to her, and leaving you out of the conversations.

How is to buy him a notebook of some type and a special pen. Tell him that when he is feeling overwhelmed with memories of her, to write the thoughts out in a book. I would say that it is time he stopped expecting you to just accept him and his memories any old time he feels like bringing them up, and making you feel so unimportant.

Tell him that you want a relationship with him, only him, without his deceased wife affecting your relationship together. Ask him to understand that you are not telling him not to stop thinking about her, only that you would like him to remember and reflect and
    write about her, in private.

The purpose would be to give him the space he needs to deal with his ongoing feelings about her, and write out his thoughts, feelings, things that remind him of her, etc., but at the same time show you due respect for your relationship- just the two of you.

While he allows himself to live this way, your relationship may never change, or change enough that he could completely let her go. I still recommend counselling for him, and I would also recommend couples counselling to get to the bottom of what I see as a lack of committment from him to you.
    Thank You I will try that.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy55 View Post
    We have been to some resturants and there new and when we got there, well it was my first time and he told me they were bearly building that whole plaza when his wife was still alive and that she didnt get to try them. I feel as if he just has to bring her up.
    Who does he think you are, his sister? I think this is just cruel. I'm not convinced this is beyond his control. I'm guessing if you give him a reason to stop, he can and will.

Even someone who wasn't his girlfriend would getting tired of this.

Edit: I would recommend trying Jake's approach. Ask him to refrain from mentioning her for one week. If he is significantly better, keep working with him on it.

If it's not really getting better over some period that you choose, I would give him an ultimatum. And just say you are going to walk out the next time he brings her up when you are out on a date, in bed or any other times that should be just for the two of you. And then do it. Tell him you will leave him because he is not ready to date if he does not give his relationship with you the kind of attention it deserves.

He is wallowing. He may think it's romantic to moon over his dead wife, but I think it's just selfish. Sorry I'm not more sympathetic to him.
    mommy55 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2010, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Who does he think you are, his sister? I think this is just cruel. I'm not convinced this is beyond his control. I'm guessing if you give him a reason to stop, he can and will.

Even someone who wasn't his girlfriend would getting tired of this.

Edit: I would recommend trying Jake's approach. Ask him to refrain from mentioning her for one week. If he is significantly better, keep working with him on it.

If it's not really getting better over some period of time that you choose, I would give him an ultimatum. And just say you are going to walk out the next time he brings her up when you are out on a date, in bed or any other times that should be just for the two of you. And then do it. Tell him you will leave him because he is not ready to date if he does not give his relationship with you the kind of attention it deserves.

He is wallowing. He may think it's romantic to moon over his dead wife, but I think it's just selfish. Sorry I'm not more sympathetic to him.
    Thank You so much for your advise. I think all of you are making me realize what I'm going through and that it's not OK for him to do this. Thank You so much again.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 07:54 PM

PS. If he mentions her and then says, "Oh, I'm not supposed to mention [Joanne], am I?" that counts as talking about her. Don't even answer if he says that. Just change the subject.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2010, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    PS. If he mentions her and then says, "Oh, I'm not supposed to mention [Joanne], am I?" that counts as talking about her. Don't even answer if he says that. Just change the subject.
    Just like when Julius Caesar spoke in front of the Roman Senate and said, "I will not tell you how much my soldiers are suffering with no sandals on their feet and food in their bellies." (It's a rhetorical device called litotes.)
    purell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
    I am going through the same thing right now. I think it is easier to date a divorced person, instead of someone who's wife died. I think if they want to talk about the dead wife, they need to seek out family, friends, support groups, therapist (whatever necessary). I am trying to build a future with a man who lives in the past and insists she is a part of our daily life. We could have such a wonderful life together. I tried to get him to understand there are only two people in this relationship. I don't want to be a mistress to a man still married to a ghost. I am not trying to be mean, I am just terribly frustrated.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Hi Purell,

This post hasn't been active for some time.

Why not post a new question, and see what happens.
    lthornley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 04:53 AM
    Sounds like exactly what I am going through too. My boyfriend has two girls 11 and 5. He is raising both and the oldest is his wife's that he is raising. I think my situation is going to be difficult because his wife was my best friend for 16 years. I really hope he isn't trying to recreate something. I'm hoping for the best and we currently live 200 miles from each other. He has told me something's that really bother me about my friend and his wife that passed away. I have been friends with him for so long and he is such a wonderful man. I think I am going to take it slow because I don't think this is something that he can get over and stay over it. If you truly love this man then hopefully as time goes by your relationship will get better. Maybe you can update me on how things are going. Have a great day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I break up with my boyfriend for talking to his ex-wife? [ 14 Answers ]

My boyfriend just ended a very very bitter marriage over the course of a year and a half separation/breakup with his ex wife. Their divorce papers recently cleared through, but a couple nights ago (they haven't talked since they initially separated over a year ago) he sent her a friend request on...

My wife is talking to another guy all the time. [ 10 Answers ]

I have been married to my wife for 4 1/2 years now. I moved countries and left my family after meeting her while I was studying in the US. We have always had arguments, but not more than any other married couple I know and we have always made up. Just recently she became very distant and...

Talking to parents about dating a girl with a child [ 9 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old male, living on my own and I've been dating a girl who had just gotten out of a bad relationship with someone to whom she got pregnant from. We have been seeing each other since she was about 5 months pregnant. I had helped her out and let her stay with me for a while and she...

My wife is talking with her x [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I dated my wife for about 3 or so years and we haven't been married quite a year yet. Things aren't always the greatest, but aren't always bad. But recently she started talking with one of her x boyfriends that in the past she has cheated on other guys with to be with. Well her and I...

Talking, Dating and communicating [ 5 Answers ]

Me and this boy went together before and he decided to cheat so we broke up and 2 years later we end up talking to each other again and he calls me and we talk about every thing but I wonder should I continue talking to him but it seems as if we might be in love with each other but we barely see...

View more questions Search