Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nate220 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 11:08 AM

Would it be necessary to install a backwater check valve? My street drops way below my basement level within a couple hundred of my house so there would need to be a backup pretty close to my house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Backups from the city sewer do occur but they are rare. Your sewer would have to back up in every house from yours to the lift station before it got to you. I'd say you were pretty safe from a street main back up unless your area's troubled by by a overloaded sewer after a heavy rain. Gopod luck, Tom

Jan 7, 2009, 02:54 PM

Speedball, thanks

Do you see any problems with my layout with a the corrections that milo suggested?

Another question, if I run a vent with an AAV at the tub and sink, should they be 1.5" or 2"
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 9, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nate220 View Post
    Speedball, thanks

Do you see any problems with my layout with a the corrections that milo suggested?

Another question, if I run a vent with an AAV at the tub and sink, should they be 1.5" or 2"
    Sorry for the delay. My friend moved back from Kansas and I've been a wee bit busy.
    Since you show the drain exiting out the left side that's the vent layout I'll comment on. I can find nothing to add on Milos lay out. All the fixtures , (including the toilet) have been vented. I figure if a plan will pass UPC it will pass any where.
    Another question, if I run a vent with an AAV at the tub and sink, should they be 1.5" or 2
    I would check your local building department to see if AAV's are allowed . If they are I would run the vents at 2". Good luck, Tom

Jan 9, 2009, 09:23 AM

Speedball

I have checked and AAVs are allowed.

I was asking on whether my original layout would work with using the 45s to make the turns to the toilet and sink and also adding the tub vent like Milo suggested.

I really don't want to run each fixture to the san main and either cut into it 4 times or replace 15 feet of it.

When connecting the old 4" cast iron to 4" pvc, does the steel banded coupler just connect to each pipe or are there any adapter required on the PVC end
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 07:44 AM

Nate: they actually sell Fernco fitting 4"Cast Iron to 4"PVC. It has the rubber insert slightly thinner on PVC side and thicker on C.I. side. But if you have problem locating this specific fitting you could use regular C.I.x C.I. Fernco too. Just be careful when tightening so you don't crimp the metal band.

Jan 12, 2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks - Milo

I purchased the DWV fittings (ouch for 4") and layed them out. I have realized that in trying to use the existing floor drain wye for everything doesn't really make sense, there are just too many bends and i would have to rip a lot of concrete.

I am attaching a revised layout similar to what Milo suggested (should have listened sooner). I have broken it up into 2 mini groups. Its in the red

My questions are

1. I am assuming that tying into the main more than once is acceptable

2. Does the toilet line still need to be 4"

3. I will use an AAV on the toilet to vent it, will the AAV on the sink be enough for the tub to be wet vented or should it have its own AAV.

4. Are there any other issues?

Sorry, I posted the wrong image. This one is correct.
    Attached Images

Jan 16, 2009, 02:09 PM

For some reason my previous question didn't come in on a new time. Please see previous post with questions and revised layout (bottom image with red)
    Thanks

Jan 18, 2009, 12:18 PM

I went to the local plumbing store. The fernco adapter they had was a 4"x4" or a 4.5" x 4". Both of them only had the skinny metal clamp. From other posts, I think most suggest to use the adapter that have the solid metal around the rubber and then the skinny clamps.

Which one?

Jan 21, 2009, 07:23 AM

Is my latest layout acceptable?

Jan 23, 2009, 12:26 PM

I hope to start the bathroom this weekend. Is the latest layout with the revised red drain lines acceptable?

Also, my questions are

1. I am assuming that tying into the main more than once is acceptable

2. Does the toilet line still need to be 4"

3. I will use an AAV on the toilet to vent it, will the AAV on the sink be enough for the tub to be wet vented or should it have its own AAV.

4. Are there any other issues?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement bathroom layout [ 6 Answers ]

Our unfinished basement has rough-ins for a toilet, sink and shower. I'm trying to determine if a small, 32 sq ft bathroom will be adequate or if the layout is too small. I could enlarge the space but the plumbing rough-ins really limit the "business" space in the room. I've uploaded digital...

Bathroom layout [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys I have 2 bathrooms to try and design. Does anyone know of any good sites where I could get ideas or any layouts or good floor plans. Kohler has this design your own bathroom program but I can't figure the program out. If anyone knows how to work it and could help me that would be great....

Basement bathroom Layout [ 10 Answers ]

I am thinking of moving the basement laundry room and putting in a new bathroom. From reading all of the posts, I think I have a decent handle on what needs to be done. I have attached my proposed layout. Are there any problems with this? My one concern is the floor drain. I need some way...

Basement Bathroom Layout [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've attached the rough-in layout of my basement bathroom. Fortunately, I had pictures while the house was being built so I know the layout of plumbing underneath the slab. I've indicated these drain lines as well. Hopefully the picture and my probable misuse of terms in this email all...

View more questions Search