Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    envee505 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Wondering about Tattoo Fading
    Just wondering do all tattoos fade? The one on back faded some in the first few days of getting it. But my new one on my wrist hasn't faded at all yet. The next day of having it after I put on the A&D ointment and I was getting dressed I noticed some ink rubbed off on my clothes. But it didn't change the color of it at all. And the 2 days following, it no longer did that. So I am just curious as to if it will fade or not. And is the fading something that usually happens in the first week of having it only or could it happen anytime in my life. Just curious as to what to expect.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 12:11 PM
    They all do, over time. Nothing you can really do to prevent it; just keep your skin moisturized to reduce the amount of fading.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 12:16 PM
    All tattoos will fade to some extent. It just depends where on your body they are. If they are in a place that will get a lot of sun exposure, they will fade more than they would if they were under your clothes. The sun will fade your tattoos. If you are going to be out in the sun a lot, apply an SPF 50 sunscreen to your tattoos. It won't completely prevent it from fading, but it will help.

Another thing that will fade your tattoos, is time. As the tattoo ages, it will get a bit duller in color. The color won't completely go away, but it will lose some of its brightness. Unfortunately, this can't be avoided. You can go in every so often and get color touch ups, but the downside to that is, every time you do that, you add scarring to your tattoo. Touch ups should only be done if there are spots on the tattoo that faded completely.

The ink rubbing off on your clothes is normal. The color will bleed a litlte bit for the first few days. To avoid this, try not to pick off the scab. Don't play with it or scratch at it. The scab is what is holding the color in until the skin heals, so if the scab is removed, the ink will bleed. If you accidentally bumped it and the scab came off, you obviously couldn't avoid that, but the longer you keep the scab on, the better.

Good luck! :)

Feb 29, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    All tattoos will fade to some extent. It just depends where on your body they are. If they are in a place that will get a lot of sun exposure, they will fade more than they would if they were under your clothes. The sun will fade your tattoos. If you are going to be out in the sun a lot, apply an SPF 50 sunscreen to your tattoos. It wont completely prevent it from fading, but it will help.

Another thing that will fade your tattoos, is time. As the tattoo ages, it will get a bit duller in color. The color wont completely go away, but it will lose some of its brightness. Unfortunately, this can't be avoided. You can go in every so often and get color touch ups, but the downside to that is, everytime you do that, you add scarring to your tattoo. Touch ups should only be done if there are spots on the tattoo that faded completely.

The ink rubbing off on your clothes is normal. The color will bleed a litlte bit for the first few days. To avoid this, try not to pick off the scab. Dont play with it or scratch at it. The scab is what is holding the color in until the skin heals, so if the scab is removed, the ink will bleed. If you accidentally bumped it and the scab came off, you obviously couldnt avoid that, but the longer you keep the scab on, the better.

Good luck! :)
    Thanks for the answers! Just another question for you... how long until it should heal? I just noticed today that in spots it is peeling ( and I am not going to mess with that ) but how long until it will be healed?
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Once it starts peeling, give it about 2-3 more weeks before it is fully healed. To help with the peeling, you can use Vaseline Intensive Care lotion about twice a day.

Don't pick at it or peel it, it could cause it to become distorted. Good luck and I hope it heals up nice for you! :)

Feb 29, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Once it starts peeling, give it about 2-3 more weeks before it is fully healed. To help with the peeling, you can use Vaseline Intensive Care lotion about twice a day.

Dont pick at it or peel it, it could cause it to become distorted. Good luck and I hope it heals up nice for you! :)
    Is the Curel Original Formula for dry skin okay to use?
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Anything "Intensive Care" is good to use. I believe the Curel is intenstive care, but I'm not entirely sure. No matter what lotion you use, make sure it is fragrance free and perfume free. Those kinds of lotions tend to gunk up a little more, plus if your tattoo is still open in any way, it could burn.

**EDIT** - I just had a look at the Curel. It says "natural healing" which is pretty much the same as intensive care. Is this the one you are using?

Buy Curel Natural Healing Nourishing Moisture Lotion for Dry Skin Online at drugstore.com

Feb 29, 2008, 01:42 PM
    No it just says original formula moisture lotion for dry skin.

Curél® hand and body moisture lotions deliver relief from dry skin

This is the one. It was the only one I could find that was unscented.
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 01:56 PM
    I looked at the ingredients and that lotion will be fine. Just make sure that its fragrance free, and the fact that its specifically for dry skin is a plus as well.

Feb 29, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Thanks for all your help.
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 02:11 PM
    You're very welcome. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fading Hair Color [ 1 Answers ]

I put light browns and red highlights in my dark hair and the red turned out really bright and I need to do something with it before school tomorrow. I want to try to fade it out so that it will blend in but I am afraid it will turn pink. Should I use Dawn detergent?

Love fading or is it [ 2 Answers ]

I get in these moments where I feel that the love I had for my ex is just starting to fade because of what she has done. Im been trying to move on, and I just get this feeling that things will just never be the same. I understand I should have started to feel this way earlie but it has just...

Fading Screen [ 5 Answers ]

My Acer 1703sc has a fading screen, it has almost gone blank (It it not the brightness Control)Everything else is OK. Can anyone tell me the best way to repair and could I do it myself, i.e. fit a new part. I don't mind having a go with correct instructions. I have asked Acer but they just want me...

Fading highlights [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! I have naturally medium brown hair and I've been highlight my hair blonde for the last year. My hair dresser gave me full highlights the last two times. I really want to fade the highlights and go back to my original hair color. I did dye it brown last year but it didn't look right because it...

Fading hair color [ 2 Answers ]

I dyed my hair about two months ago to a dark red/brown color. I tried to get it back to my normal ash brown color by dying it a light ash blonde. It made the ends lighter but not the top of my hair. I don't want to go to the salon because I don't want them to use any abrasive or harmful...

View more questions Search