Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkmhmm51 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Fading Screen
    My Acer 1703sc has a fading screen, it has almost gone blank (It it not the brightness Control)Everything else is OK. Can anyone tell me the best way to repair and could I do it myself, i.e. fit a new part. I don't mind having a go with correct instructions.
    I have asked Acer but they just want me to send it to them.Imagine the cost. Thank You
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dkmhmm51
    My Acer 1703sc has a fading screen, it has almost gone blank (It it not the brightness Control)Everything else is OK. Can anyone tell me the best way to repair and could I do it myself, i.e. fit a new part. I dont mind having a go with correct instructions.
    I have asked Acer but they just want me to send it to them.Imagine the cost. Thank You
    The key is finding the source of the problem.
    Power supply?
    Video card/drivers?
    The screen itself?
    Did Acer tell you how much it would cost to diag or repair?
    They may have a quick fix to a common problem...
    Or they may swap it out for a nominal fee.

Oct 24, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Acer would not commit without seeing the Laptop, A search on the www sugested the problem was an INVERTER. Everything else seems to be OK, the fading has been a gradual process over about 2-3 months. My wife uses the machine but didn't realise at first. Thank you for your quick response... Dave.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2007, 06:47 AM
    This is not a d-i-y repair. While one can fixup a desktop, it has more easily interchangeable parts. I would not recommend trying to fix a laptop. Send it back to Acer or bring it to an authorized tech and try to get an estimate. Then you can decide as to whether to repair or replace.

Oct 24, 2007, 07:13 AM
    I've been trying for weeks to get some help, Now I have it within hours of becoming a member, Thanks a million... Dave
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Oct 24, 2007, 07:19 AM
    It is most likely an inverter. That's usually what makes an LCD go dim, or the backlight go out.

Like Scott said, it's not easy to do (laptops really suck to tear apart and put together), but you could give it a shot if the repair shop wants an outragous amount of money. Usually you take it apart, take the LCD off, pop out or unscrew the cover, and find the little circuit board, either on the side or beneath the screen itself. There's usually a few different sets of wires coming off it. Most times, you can find a replacement from the maker of the screen, or on eBay, for under $50. That, plus the time you put into it, may or may not be worth it to you. It's an option, but like I said, it's not really just a matter of swapping out a card... theres a bit of work involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blank screen after xp splash screen and then hangs [ 2 Answers ]

My colleagues and I work in a tech environment and we have seen several computers with the same symptoms. Namely a failure to boot xp. After the xp logo screen the screen goes to blank and it just hangs. This looks like a graphics card fault but changing card does nothing. Booting into safe...

Fading highlights [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! I have naturally medium brown hair and I've been highlight my hair blonde for the last year. My hair dresser gave me full highlights the last two times. I really want to fade the highlights and go back to my original hair color. I did dye it brown last year but it didn't look right because it...

Fading hair color [ 2 Answers ]

I dyed my hair about two months ago to a dark red/brown color. I tried to get it back to my normal ash brown color by dying it a light ash blonde. It made the ends lighter but not the top of my hair. I don't want to go to the salon because I don't want them to use any abrasive or harmful...

Hair color fading [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to highlight my hair blonde, but it didn't turn out so good. It is too blonde, and I like the natural color of my hair much better. I need to find a hair-healthy way to make the color go away before school starts tomarrow morning. Thanks! :)

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

View more questions Search