Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkaufman Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2014, 10:44 AM
    Electric Dryer - Roper REX6634PQ0 hums, does not start
    Roper Electric Dryer model – REX6634PQ0 - hums when switched on, drum does not move. If we keep dryer plugged in and EVEN when dryer knob is in OFF position, we hear something running – like a running belt or fan etc. While plugged in, when we open the door, we see a light/filament burning inside the dryer and it gets warm as well.

Any ideas? Is it motor or belt or something else?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2014, 03:57 PM
    Sounds like a broken belt. You can Google it to see video of how to change it.

Jan 9, 2014, 08:28 PM
    Opened the top panel of the Dryer and see that the belt looks OK, it is tight and am able to rotate drum. Now, should I look at motor or look at thermal fuse etc?
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2014, 01:16 AM
    Is the humming sound coming from the motor? I hate to say then it's more than likely the motor, that'll kill a $100 bill quick. good luck

P.S. Make sure the blower wheel turns free, sometimes they get fouled by something.

Jan 10, 2014, 08:56 AM
    Finally got that. Was missing noticing the black door switch. So I set timer, pressed the black door switch and pressed the ON button and drum started rotating. So we put one load in the dryer and it seemed to work. After it stopped, we again have this issue of humming sound.

So did the above steps again and again dryer seems to be working. What could be wrong? I have opened only top panel so far and haven't looked at motor or anything else yet.
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2014, 09:52 AM
    Hi again, are you saying that by pushing in the door switch that your dryer is working? I've never heard a dryer make a buzzing sound when the door switch goes bad. But your in luck, that only a $10 to $15 part as the motor would be $100 or better.

Do you have an ohm/volt meter and know how to use it? You can check the switch to make sure it's bad before changing it.

Jan 10, 2014, 09:58 AM
    Right now, the dryer is running fine. The humming problem happens when we open the door mid-cycle and then close the door and press the ON button. As long as we are leaving the timer to complete the cycle, dryer seems to be running fine. Once current timer is done, we'll leave it as it for some time and then start the dryer again and see if we have the same problem.

Jan 10, 2014, 11:16 AM
    Did 3 loads without any issues now.

Opened door mid-cycle and no issues.
    No humming,
    no sound when timer is in OFF position
    no heating element on when door is opened (we are going to let dryer cool down and check that it does cool down to ensure that heating element does not remain switched on even when timer is in OFF position)
    clothes are getting dry properly
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2014, 11:30 AM
    I'm glad it's working for you, must have been that door switch if that's all you fiddled with. Good luck I hope it stays working.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2014, 04:22 PM
    You may need to adjust the door switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Clothes Dryer (Roper) Won't Heat [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My Roper electric clothes dryer runs fine but won't heat. I've checked vent and filter for lint, tested the circuit and know I have 220v. At the plug. What should I do next? If I need to check the Heat Protector how do I do that and where do I find it? If I need to access/test the heating...

Roper electric dryer not working on settings [ 0 Answers ]

My 17 month old Roper electric dryer is not drying when the drying selections are made.The air only comes out very hot.The high setting only comes hot when you put the dial half way through.The air fluff only works half way through on high!The low heat surprises every time,either no heat or high...

Roper electric clothes dryer will not heat up model #REL4634BW2 [ 1 Answers ]

Roper electric clothes dryer will not heat up Model #REL4634BW2. Drum turns but no heat

GE dryer drum not turning- felt ring destroyed- dryer just hums when you start it? [ 2 Answers ]

GE Model DHDSR46EG6WW Serial MR701623A

Roper Electric dryer not heating/knob won't turn [ 4 Answers ]

My 5 year old roper dryer (model: REX4634KQ1) is turning, but not heating and the knob won't turn. Wondering what this may be? All of the lint is cleared out and everything else works fine. Both of these problems happened at the same time. Related or not related? :confused:

View more questions Search