Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Dec 26, 2012, 04:23 PM
    Neutral feed with generator
    Hello,
    I installed a generator interlock kit on my main panel to use with my Coleman 5000 watt generator during long power outages. I hooked it up and tested it and all was successful. However, One concern I have is with the lack of switching with the neutral; the neutral bus will still be connected to the utility even when I use the generator. I'm assuming that all is well because there will be no load being used from utility power, only from the generator, but all of this is a little over my head. I have a couple of questions:
    Are there any potential problems that arise with this situation? I do know the neutral and grounds are NOT bonded in my generator, if that affects anything.
    Would there be a significant danger in this regard if they were bonded? (besides current flowing on both neutral and ground conductors between generator and panel)
    Thanks.
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Dec 26, 2012, 06:49 PM
    The neutral does not need to be broken. The generator frame should be grounded, and the neutral should remain unbonded.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2012, 06:05 AM
    Kyle...
    As long as your transfer switch isolates and/or disconnects all the phase conductors from the utility, a solid neutral in the transfer switch should not cause you any issues...
    Whether the generator is internally neutral to ground bonded (which is common on smaller units) or not should not be an issue. Being sure you have an established neutral to ground bond at your main panel that remains, regardless of the utility or generator connection is important.
    f.y.I. NEC 700.5 in the Handbook discusses the transfer switch connections and some of the bonding issues in some depth...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Hrcarson,

Article 700 is for Emergency Systems. Only.

ARTICLE 702 Optional Standby Systems applies to residential systems.

Article 250 handles grounding and bonding.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
    Yes Sir, Article 700 is for Emergency Systems although regarding the grounding and bonding, this issue is referred to again in 701.5, 701.7, 702.5 and 702.7...
    "See the commentary..."
    Kyle's question included the issue of the grounding and bonding of generator or lack of, along with the neutral connections to the normal. The commentary of 700.5 in the handbook talks about the solid neutrals in transfer switches as required by 250.24 and the corrective actions available (250.6(B)) when multiple grounding creates objectionable currents. I believe this is general information that can be applied to emergency, standby and optional systems.
    I had only intended on providing this for informational purposes...
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Dec 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
    So basically it is dependent upon a solid neutral/ground bond as well as a solid ground connection at the main panel.

Thanks for the answers.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
    Correct. Only if a system is considered as a separately derived system, which yours is not, N/B connections at all distribution points.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a neutral to feed meter base 480 volts? [ 3 Answers ]

Need to know if a neutral is needed to feed a meter base?

Mains neutral and generator neutral [ 0 Answers ]

I'm certainly not an electrician but one of expert around this web can help. I recently come across the problem where the ground volts raised up to 12 volts and UPS system (10KVA) was stopped working due to ground issue. Some electricians came but unable to find the actual cause then I ask from...

Where is the neutral bonding on my generator [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a milwaukee 4960-24 generator and need to remove the neutral bonding wire,any suggestions

Double tap on neutral feed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I noticed that my neutral feed wire in my panel is tapped under it's connection lug with another neutral feed going to a sub panel. Is this troublesome? If so, what could be hazardous about it? Thanks ahead of time. Eric.

Back feed through the neutral? [ 1 Answers ]

In my research on generator interlocks, I see references to needing to switch the neutral to avoid backfeeding through it. None of the commercial units seem to do it. It seems to me like there would have to be more than one major problem before my little 6250 watt generator could ever impose a...

View more questions Search