Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2011, 07:10 PM
    Kitten harassing dog
    My 4 month old kitten harassed my dog, chasing him and hissing at him. I have my dog inside at night time and sometimes during the day and the kitten stalks him chasing his tail or just running up and smacking him in the face, sometimes it's playfully and sometimes it's not. I'm worried that as he gets bigger he will end up hurting my dog :/ basically my kitten has an attitude problem, my dog loves cats usually and this is the only one who doesn't like him.. most of the time my dog will avoid him by leaving the room or going to bed but he has growled and bared his teeth at him after being harassed. I don't want to have to have them separated most of the time.. is there anything I can do to help them get along?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 07:28 PM

This sounds like a typical kitten who's being very playful and is trying to get the dog to play with him.

As the kitten gets a little older, he will slow down and be less assertive as long as you don't swat him or hurt him in any way now when it's just play.

Some cat people will suggest, whenever he gives the dog problems, that you give the kitten a quick spray of water from a spray bottle that you keep handy. You don't have to soak the cat or the carpet. The quick spray should be sufficient. In fact, after a couple of shots of water, all you'll have to do is flash the spray bottle without actually using it, and the kitten will back off.

Kittens/cats sleep about 16 hours a day, plus kittens grow up really fast, so in three months, you probably won't have this problem any longer.
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2011, 09:06 PM
    Thank you for your help :) I will try this, I know sometimes he is playing but every time my dogs inside he chases him or jumps on him when his having a lay down it's strange because all the cats & kittens we've had around him have loved him including a litter of kittens that would hide underneath him when they were scared and he'd stick up for them against other dogs. I guess this little kittys different :)
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2011, 09:22 PM

I use the squirt bottle for my cats and it works like a charm. Sometimes I don't even have to touch it, I can say their name and look at the squirt bottle and they separate. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten aggressive toward dog [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 yr old Pomapoo and recently got a 2-3 month old kitten. They were getting along pretty well for the first few days, but now the kitten has become increasingly aggressive with the dog. From what I've read, this is normal play-fighting--- sneaking up on him and pouncing, hanging onto one...

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Kitten suckling young dog [ 7 Answers ]

This is a new one to me since I've never had a kitten before. Our new kitten is 9 weeks old and is suckling our 11 month old retriever. The kitten was young when we got her (6 weeks) and I know she was comforted by the suckling. The dog is not bothered by this, but aside from losing hair on her...

Harassing ex landlord [ 1 Answers ]

I had moved out of a house, but didn't fulfill my lease, because I couldn't afford to pay my rent. The lady was susposed to fix a pipe in the basement but while I was moving out I noticed down in the basement it was still leaking and mold was growing bad and the floor was rottening. I had no idea...

Harassing Roommate [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there, So back in December my friend and I rented a 3 bedroom together. Shortly after my dog became ill and having many vet bills, I asked john, my room mate if he would consider sharing the third room (third roommate) to split the rent making it cheaper for all of is. It worked out very...

View more questions Search