Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helloworld999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Girlfriend says I'm too clingy
    OK so we have been going out for almost 8 months. At first she would always get mad at me for like flirting with girls and talking with girls she thought that I had some chemistry with. So I decided to stop talking to them for her because she couldn't take me talking to them. So when she was talking to guys that she used to have things with, I told her I didn't like it because I expected her to stop talking to guys she had a thing with like I did.

We both stopped talking to guys or girls but recently she has been given me less affection and like not wanting to be as close to me as we had always done and she has been saying I love you less. Also recently, she has been saying she wants her old life back and a break for a week. She also want talking to the guys she kind of had things with again. She has also said that I have been too clingy and not letting her be with her friends and talk with guys again. I want her to hang out with her friends more but I just don't want her to talk with those guys again. Its just I think she made me not talk to the girls and then I realized I was fine with it, and she had done the same, but now she wants to talk with them again. And like after a couple arguments she like wants to talk to them again. I don't know what to do.
    Serenity2009 Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

Apr 25, 2010, 12:15 PM

OK here's the thing. If you don't want her talking to other guys, then you are a jealous controlling man. But if she is doing the same to you, than maybe you both aren't ready for a relationship. Because if you trust and love the one you are with, it doesn't matter who you talk to as long as you are coming together after and its still that person you love, then it doesn't matter. I have been with my fiancé a year and so far he has talked and flirted with girls, and I do the same, the way I see it is that I have him and he has me and that it kind of makes us proud that the other is getting flirted with, because we know we have what others want. Calm down a bit and take that break, maybe she will see that she wants you. Or you can propose lol just kidding that would be way too clingy
    Carl17 Posts: 66, Reputation: 9

Apr 25, 2010, 12:19 PM

Humans are social creatures.

Prison wardens stopped putting people in solitary confinement ( or at least toned down the use of solitary confinement), because people go insane when they are deprived from contact with other people. By only being intimate and flirty with each other, you probably feel like "tired" of the same old, same old. Perhaps you need something to spice up both of your lives, to get out there together and have some fun around other people. You've been in a relationship for 8 months so your obviously want a relationship and feel that you love this person. I agree with what serenity said, I think that you shouldn't worry about talking and flirting with other people, as long as you're faithful to each other.
    Carl17 Posts: 66, Reputation: 9

Apr 25, 2010, 12:21 PM

Wow, I should be arrested by the grammar police. I forgot to re-read that before I posted it.
    Serenity2009 Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

Apr 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl17 View Post
    Humans are social creatures.

Prison wardens stopped putting people in solitary confinement ( or atleast toned down the use of solitary confinement), because people go insane when they are deprived from contact with other people. By only being intimate and flirty with eachother, you probably feel like "tired" of the same old, same old. Perhaps you need something to spice up both of your lives, to get out there together and have some fun around other people. You've been in a relationship for 8 months so your obviously want a relationship and feel that you love this person. I agree with what serenity said, I think that you shouldn't worry about talking and flirting with other people, as long as you're faithful to eachother.
    Thanks
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 12:44 PM

In a healthy relationship you trust each other - you just know that person won't cheat on you or do anything to jeopardize the relationship.

Really doesn't sound like you have much of a relationship at all. Sounds like grade school antics.

It's time to trust one another OR move on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 12:53 PM

Not good that your playing those insecurity games this early into things.

If your worried about others coming between you and your partner then what the heck are you with them for? If you need all these rules and regulations for each other then you don't have a healthy relationship to begin with, so why waste time?
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:36 PM

Is this even a relationship? It sounds more like two people who are putting up with the other, but really don't have any intention of being serious.

A woman wants a strong man, and a guy demanding she not talk to other people is not someone who is strong. On the flip side, a woman's should (and if she is really into him, will) respect her man, and your girlfriend shows you no respect by talking to the other guys. She also clearly wants distance because she wants a break. A break is a break up but is her easy way of putting you on the back burner in case something goes wrong with the other guys.

This "relationship" is not based in anything with strength such as trust, love, or understanding, but rather you're here now so I'll put up with some of it to an extent. That's not a relationship and it's not a recipe for something to grow on.
    stevo12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 02:50 PM
    Man I'm in the same boat. My girlfriend of a year and a half just said she wanted to take a break. She said a few weeks or a month or two. I didn't know what to think, maybe she was laying me down easy. She always said I was too clingy, then sometimes would tell me she loved how clingy I was. That confused me even more. She also said she wanted her old life back too. We talked about it, we agreed to take a break and if anyone asked we said its complicated. Bottom line is, you have to trust her with not hurting you. If you love each other things will work themselves out. She wants to see her friends in which one or two of them she has previously dated, we've been together long enough, and you just got to let her do what she wants to do because in the end she will be back with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do when I am Clingy? [ 18 Answers ]

I am a guy, 18, and recently started to date someone of my age. She says I am a bit too clingy and asks me to stop. I know I am too clingy a lot of the time and I wish not to be anymore because I really love her. So if anyone has any suggestions to avoid being clingy please give them. Also, if you...

5 and 3 Y/O clingy [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, first off. This question isn't for me as it is for my girlfriend. She would like to know how to break her kids away from being so clingy. They are constantly following her around, knocking at her door. She will be getting changed and in a matter of 5 minutes they knock at least 4 times. She...

I'm to clingy [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, well so here it goes.. me and my girlfriend have been going out for like 2 weeks now.. we have both been single for a long time before we went out... so the other day I go to her class and talk like I do everyday but then we caught a silent moment.. I see her 3rd 4th out of 6 periods a day.....

Am I clingy [ 4 Answers ]

How can I help myslef from being so sellfiish I am with an amazing women and I am ruining the relationship of four years left and right be because I don't think of her needs I love her to death but I only think of myself I don't know if its be sellfish our if I am clingy and how can I fix or cope...

View more questions Search