Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommy10 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Trying to save my marriage
    Been married now for 2 years, have 2 children from a previous marriage. To make a long story short, my current wife is referring to me as a burden as I pay so much in child support each month, I just can't contribute money wise the way I wish I could. I offer to get a second job but she says that will take me away from my responsibilities at home so then she would be mad at me for that. I feel like I'm in a non-winnable situation.

She is overlly critical of me, and states its because she is stressed because she has to face a lot of the financial burdens(which I understand). I try to lighten the load for her by doing almost all the housework, dinner prep, and shopping. This does not seem to help.

I'm just tired of being blamed for every problem in the house. Her kids act up(hers from a previous marriage), its because I'm there and they are behaving that way because I'm not doing something right as a step parent. Just need some advice on how to handle it.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 5, 2010, 11:00 AM

Your previous thread from 2008: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/marria...ll-259673.html.

It sounds like this has been going on since you got married. After you started that thread, did you get any type of marriage counseling or make any changes that helped it stay viable this long?

Quite frankly, it sounds like she is blaming you for her bad behavior and her children are mimicking their mother. As a step-parent, it really isn't your place to 'raise' her children. It is still her and her ex's duty to raise their children just like you should still be involved in raising your children.

She knew going into it that you had children to support just like her ex-husband does. I hope he pays child support or are you paying for his mistakes, too?

You both need to sit down and have a mature discussion about your relationship and where it is headed. You might want a neutral third party to mediate to keep the discussion on track and from turning into an argument.
    tommy10 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 11:44 AM
    Seems to be a pattern. I just don't think I can live up to her expectations. And, yes, she was aware of the child support.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Apr 5, 2010, 09:16 PM

Read Dr. Emmerson Eggrigcs, Love and Respect. Great book that helped my marriage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do to save my marriage? [ 8 Answers ]

I have recently married a fantastic man, Jonathon. He has always been kind and sweet to me. At least until here recently. We only acted like newlyweds for the first month and since then it has been hell. For two months we fought nearly every day at least once. It wasn't little petty arguments...

I want to save my marriage [ 4 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for 11 years. It has been full of affairs and lack of trust on both of us. We have three kids together which we raise together. My partner had an affair last year with the neighbour and wanted to leave me. We decided to work on it and the love came back. I actually...

Trying to save my marriage [ 44 Answers ]

Hi all I have a question me and my husband of 3 in a half yrs have been having problems all we do is argue and fault find or criticize on what the other one has done wrong,well Sunday night we thought it might be best if we split up that would mean I would go to Ga (because that's where my family...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

View more questions Search