Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Can I plumb a washer 14 feet away from stack
    My washer & dryer is in the middle of my basement & I would like to move it to the other side of the house the only problem is it would be 14 feet from the main stack & vent.. Is this OK or what would I have to do to plumb it in (do I have to vent through the roof )

Thanks for your time
    Rob
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Hi Rob:

Easy enough to move the piping over but you will need to install an 1.5" vent within 3 to 5 feet of the 2" PTRAP and standpipe for the washing machine.

The new vent can run back and connect into the existing vent at the old washing machine.

Be sure to install a full size cleanout for the drain line.

Back to you...

MARK
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 04:32 PM

Was the old washer drain vented?

Jan 28, 2010, 05:03 PM

Thanks Mark that is very helpful.
    Will I need to run 2" drain back to my 3" stack?

Jan 28, 2010, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Was the old washer drain vented?
    Yes it is vented but is within 3' of the main stack
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2010, 05:11 PM
    Has anyone mentioned mentioned installing a AAV?(see image) Check with your local Building Department to see if they're allowed. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 05:20 PM

Tom has given you another option for your vent. However, would recommend tieing into the existing vent if at all possible. As Mark suggested, take the vent off within five feet of the washer trap. Best to run two inch drain pipe to stack if possible and use 1 1/2 vent. Please let us know if this is all do-able. As it will make for an up to date, problem free install.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2010, 05:37 PM

Dad and Mark are correct. I much prefer a natural vent to a mechanical one. If at all possible revent backto the old vent. To9m

Jan 28, 2010, 05:53 PM

Thanks all
    I took a couple of pictures but can't figure out how to upload them... Thought it might be easier to explain with photos of my basement.
    Thanks
    Rob
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2010, 05:57 PM

This may help.

How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?
    A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.
    Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    Compose your question or answer in the window.
    Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    Click the Upload button.
    Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.
    B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.
    Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.

Hope this helps, Tom

Jan 28, 2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks speedball1... If this works you'll see 2 pics..
    One is the washer & dryer close to stack & the other is where the washer & dryer is to go (where the drywall is leaning against the wall)14' away from stack
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 04:22 AM
    Hi Rob...

I'd cut a sanitary tee fitting into the pipe and run the piping over to the new washing machine. Install a 2" drain line with 1/4" pitch to the foot. Start your drain at lowest height possible and then pitch up from there. Hang the pipe every 4 feet to prevent any bellies from developing in the pipe over time.

At the corner where you make the change of direction with the drain pipe over to the washing machine you'll want to install a 2" long sweep elbow and a full size cleanout.

If allowed, as Tom pointed out, you could install a mechanical vent (called an AAV or air admittance valve) or you could install an 1.5" vent line and run it back to connect into the old vent as I mentioned. Either way works fine, except that the mechanical vent will save time and money!! You just need to be sure it is allowed in your area. If you pipe a vent be sure to pitch the vent so that if rain water gets into the pipe it will drain back to the waste pipe by gravity.

The standpipe from the Ptrap should be about 30" tall... see image. The image says between 18-36" standpipe....30" is ideal!

Back to you...

MARK
    Attached Images

Jan 29, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Rob...

I'd cut a sanitary tee fitting into the pipe and run the piping over to the new washing machine. Install a 2" drain line with 1/4" pitch to the foot. Start your drain at lowest height possible and then pitch up from there. Hang the pipe every 4 feet to prevent any bellies from developing in the pipe over time.

At the corner where you make the change of direction with the drain pipe over to the washing machine you'll want to install a 2" long sweep elbow and a full size cleanout.

If allowed, as Tom pointed out, you could install a mechanical vent (called an AAV or air admittance valve) or you could install an 1.5" vent line and run it back to connect into the old vent as I mentioned. Either way works fine, except that the mechanical vent will save time and money!! You just need to be sure it is allowed in your area. If you pipe a vent be sure to pitch the vent so that if rain water gets into the pipe it will drain back to the waste pipe by gravity.

The standpipe from the Ptrap should be about 30" tall...see image. The image says between 18-36" standpipe....30" is ideal!

Back to you...

MARK
    Thanks so much Mark the picture says a thousand words.Now can I run my vent along the wall just above the drain(back to the 3" main).I also forgot to mention that just below the floor joists I have a toilet,bath tub,bath sink,&kitchen sink draining into the main. If I cut into the main down low will I have any problems with gasses upstairs?

Thanks again

Rob
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 07:01 AM

You can run the vent along the wall no problem... hanging it as you go at 1 hanger per 3 or four feet of pipe. Pitch the vent pipe so rain water that gets in the vent from the roof will drain away from the vent stack and toward the washer drain.

You mentioned the toilet sink and bath... we kind of figured that was what the big pipe was picking up... ;)

You will have no issues with plumbing above as long as you vent the washing machine as presented here.

Mark

Jan 29, 2010, 07:33 AM
    You can run the vent along the wall no problem...hanging it as you go at 1 hanger per 3 or four feet of pipe. Pitch the vent pipe so rain water that gets in the vent from the roof will drain away from the vent stack and toward the washer drain.

You mentioned the toilet sink and bath....we kinda figured that was what the big pipe was picking up...;)

You will have no issues with plumbing above as long as you vent the washing machine as presented here.

Mark
    Thanks again Mark.Please bare with me as I am not a plumber nor do I claim to be,it's just that we are doing a complete reno on our house & I am trying to do everything myself making sure everything is done right.
    So from what I understand... pith a 2" drain line from the washer to the 3" main,, then pitch a 1 1/2" vent from stack back to the washer(so the pitch on the drain would be opposite the pitch on the vent??)Aslo in the first pic you can see a 3" pipe & a 1 1/2" pipe beside it....Would the 1 1/2" pipe be a dry vent? If so should I vent into the 1 1/2"?

Thanks Again
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by nortonalberta View Post
    Thanks again Mark.Please bare with me as I am not a plumber nor do I claim to be,it's just that we are doing a complete reno on our house & I am trying to do everything myself making sure everything is done right.
    So from what I understand....pith a 2" drain line from the washer to the 3" main,,,then pich a 1 1/2" vent from stack back to the washer(so the pitch on the drain would be opposite the pitch on the vent??)Aslo in the first pic you can see a 3" pipe & a 1 1/2" pipe beside it....Would the 1 1/2" pipe be a dry vent??If so should I vent into the 1 1/2"??

Thanks Again
    Rob
    Like this?
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2010, 08:44 AM

I bet Marks going to say "it works for me". Cheers, Tom

Jan 29, 2010, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I bet Marks gonna say "it works for me". Cheers, Tom
    Thanks Tom
    Do you think the 1 1/2" pipe to the left of the 3" stack in the first pic is a dry vent?I can see the 3" pipe come out my roof but no 1 1/2",would it ty into the 3" in the waall somewhere ?

Thanks
    Rob
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Hi Rob:

As Tom mentioned... you are all set with the piping as you drew it up.

In terms of the 1.5" vent pipe at the existing washer you can be sure that it connects into the 3" pipe at a minimum of 42-48" above the first floor. Here, the vent from the washer needs to connect above all the fixtures upstairs for it to be a vent for the washer in the basement.

When you connect into the existing vent be sure to invert your sanitary tee fitting so it is upside down... allows rain water to flow by gravity toward the washer drain. Turn a sanitary tee upsdie down... you'll see what I mean!

Your turn...

MARK

Jan 29, 2010, 12:43 PM
    Hi Rob:

As Tom mentioned...you are all set with the piping as you drew it up.

In terms of the 1.5" vent pipe at the existing washer you can be sure that it connects into the 3" pipe at a minimum of 42-48" above the first floor. Here, the vent from the washer needs to connect above all the fixtures upstairs for it to be a vent for the washer in the basement.

Your turn...

MARK
    Ok thanks I understand.
    I did forget to mention one more thing though... the drain for the washer is actually in the between the washer & dryer... Just to be clear should I vent into the 1 1/2" pipe?Also I have 2x4 frost wall,,can I run the drain & vent through the wall(typical 2x4 wall with concrete foundation wall behind)

Thanks
    Rob

Hi Rob here again;
    I don't know if I am over thinking things or simply not getting how this whole thing works.....I have attached another pic of the 1 1/2" vent( it's actually a 2" coming out of the concrete then reduced to 1 1/2 with a wye or sanitary T )The vent & stack seem to be done by the builder but somebody else roughed in a sink drain to the vent...Is this ok? I thought a dry vent was for venting only....then again why would there be a cleanout there.Seens how my washer drain is in the wall about 3' away i asume that the plumbing was run under the concrete into the main,so does the washer vent through the 3" as well as drain into the 3".

Very confused
    Please help me understand

Thanks
    Rob
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 04:27 PM

I'm betting there is another drain and vent in the wall. Can you post a pic of the actuall washer drain after opening up the wall. This will tell us much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore stack washer/dryer - washer makes noise during wash [ 2 Answers ]

My son has a Kenmore stack washer/dryer that makes a noise that sounds something like a gear when washing only. Could this be a transmission problem? Jay

Plumb a garage utility sink into existing washer plumbing [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am new and wondering if I can plumb a utility sink drain into a washing machine stand pipe? http://www.treemo.com/content/874630_2egnek0gmxuwi_dd.jpg The sink will be located to the left just past the wall. The drain pipe is has a trap just past where I cut the drywall out on the right. Can...

Plumb Basement Sink Directly Into Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to install a slop sink in my basement. I can place it right next to the vertical main stack, and can connect the sink drain directly to it above the point where it enters the slab. I would also vent the drain line. Would this be allowed (in general) by most codes? Would a check valve...

Leak in basement plumb stack [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small leak in one of the connectors in the main plumb stack in the basement. The water running down (slowly) seems to be clear. What do I do? How can I find out where it is coming from. There is no odor. Thanks Conny

Drain line 5 feet long going into main stack [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a washing machine drain line using 2" ABS pipe. The drain line will be installed within a 5 foot horizontal run going into the main stack. Within 5 feet of the main stack, do I need a vent line? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search