Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Isafjordur Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Is it likely my computer I will die because there's not a lot on it?
    It's about four years old, but runs smothly. I did have World of Warcraft on it for a little over a year, but I got rid of it, because I didn't have enough ram (supposedly) and also because I became bored with it. I currently have 479 MB of Ram and 149 GB Hard drive space, and 138 GB of free space. I have deleted a lot of old files and stuff like that, and it is running faster then before. But now my sister is telling me that it is going to die, because it can't handle a low amount of stuff opposed to a large amount of stuff. She said something like, Too much is almost like nothing, where nothing is like too much. I don't exactly believe this, but I worry a lot. She is 27 by the way, so she's not a kid. I have 92% free space on my hard drive. Is it likely my computer will just die because there's not a lot of stuff on it? Please Help!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2009, 09:06 PM

Your sister is not knowledgeable. Don't believe her. It is not likely that your computer would "die" (whatever that means) because there's not much "stuff" on it.

You didn't mention your operating system. I'm assuming Windows XP. 479 MB is not very much RAM for XP with service pack 3. U recommend at least 768 MB of RAM. The hard drive space is fine.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 09:21 PM

Your sister is using "anecdotal science"... attempting to make sense out of partial information about systems that have died in the past.

There is no correlation to how long a computer lasts as compared to how much data is currently stored on the hard drive.

I suppose it is possible to load so much software into computer memory at once that you can shorten the life of the processor, but that's easily avoidable by keeping your bootup list clean.

And this still has nothing to do with hard drive space.

========
    SIDEBAR:
    Do NOT let every program you ever download/install do whatever it wants to your boot list. Do NOT let every program load little pieces of itself just because it wants to. The first thing I do when I buy any new computer is:

1) Disable everything in the startup folder and the msconfig file that I do not specifically want running all the time, like Antivirus.

(RealPlayer, Quicktime, Adobe Reader for example all have "applets" that want to load at boot time. What a crock. Anytime those programs are needed, the OS will call for them based on filetype association, so the applets are unnecessary dross.)

2) Completely uninstall everything I know is unnecessary. Just do it. I know it came free with the computer, but most "free" utilities that come ON the computer aren't worth the price you pay in lost hard drive space. There are better "free" programs out there you can cherry pick and install yourself. (CCleaner, AVG Free Antivirus, EditPadLite, IrfanView graphics viewer, ZoneAlarm Firewall, etc)

========
    In general, computers die because a key component wears out. If that component is on the motherboard, then it's probably time for a new computer. (though a motherboard is often only $100, so it could be economical and fun project to replace one)

But if the component is a bad memory chip, the computer can misbehave horribly... and it's a $30 fix to replace the memory. Any 12 year old can insert a memory chip. Adding the MOST memory your computer will support can have unbelievable positive impact on performance.

If the bad component is failing hard drive, it's very inconvenient, possibly catastrophic if you don't make "off-hard-drive" backups. But it's still only a $75-$125 fix to put in a new hard drive... plus hours to reinstall everything. But the end result is invariably a speedy little computer.

If a computer is well-maintained, or well-repaired when small things go wrong, there's an easy chance it can last 10 years or more of steady use. Truly.

People forget this. If a computer was configured properly NEW and was fast/peppy and fun to use, then there is frequently NO REASON it can't behave the same way today.

If you're one of those people with more time than money, then I can recommend something that you should consider doing:

1) Backup all your data
    2) Initiate a FACTORY RESTORE to get your computer back to the state it was when you first bought it
    3) Reinstall your updates and software

One night's work and I bet the computer will feel brand new when you use it.

Do this one good time, then make an imaging backup of your configured system in this condition using something like GHOST, and once a year or so you can back off your data and restore the image in 20 minutes and your back to pristine condition.

Nov 22, 2009, 12:28 PM

Ok, thanks folks. But I still have a few more questions if you don't mind. Normally my computer runs smothly, but sometimes, it's just really sluggish. I don't know why. Is it normal for computers to be sluggish sometimes? Also when I turn my computer on, it makes this noise, my friend said it could be the processor, just processing stuff, but I'm not sure. Also, well my computer die if I don't add more ram soon enough? I'm not planning on getting any games. Also, my computer is has Windows XP Home SP3, Mobile AMD XP-M Processor 2800+, 512 MB Ram, and SiS Mirage Graphics. I have had it for about four years now, and have had about three games on it, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Microsoft Flight Simulator 9, and Wow. I have uninstalled all of them, and they are no longer on my computer. I hope this information helps, but my main question is, how long do you think my computer will last? I use it a lot everyday, mainly just on the internent. Please Help!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 22, 2009, 03:05 PM

Once again, stop worrying about the games you have installed. Unless you're trying to play all 3 at the same time, the number of games installed isn't an issue worth discussing.

Normally my computer runs smothly, but sometimes, it's just really sluggish. I don't know why. Is it normal for computers to be sluggish sometimes?. my computer is has Windows XP Home SP3, Mobile AMD XP-M Processor 2800+, 512 MB Ram, and SiS Mirage Graphics.
    No, it's not normal, but it's very common.

1) I've already told you about streamlining DOWN the number of programs that are installed that actually try to do things all the time. Your computer should only boot with

-the operating system
    -an antivirus package
    -a firewall package

I just clicked on RUN > msconfig > Startup and found another program that recently added itself to my startup routine... I had to uncheck it to disable it. These programs are sneaky as all get out. You have to stay on top of your boot list or it will bloat on its own.

If you've never checked this, you've got 4 years worth of junk in there probably.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Download CCLeaner, a free cleanup utility that is HIGHLY recommended on this site. Not only is a great registry/junk cleaner, it also gives ready access to the Startup programs and makes disabling unwanted garbage very easy.

2) I would expect any computer running XP on 512mb of memory to be sluggish.

I'm not really interested in rehashing everything I already said in my post above. But I did already say that maximizing the memory in your computer makes EVERYTHING work better. If you can buy $50 games, you can spend $50 to make them ALL play better.

Do it.

Also when I turn my computer on, it makes this noise, my friend said it could be the processor, just processing stuff, but I'm not sure. Also, well my computer die if I don't add more ram soon enough? I'm not planning on getting any games. Also,
    You need to stop asking non-computer people questions about computers. I mean it. Your friend and your sister may have a computer, but they seem to base all their answers on words they've heard without knowing what they mean.

The processor literally CAN'T make any noise. It has no moving parts. The fan ON the processor is more likely culprit. I'm going to assume after 4 years you've never once opened the case and blown all the garbage out with a can of anti-static air?

Do it. Be sure to blow out the fans (there will be several in your case, including one on the power supply).

I hope this information helps, but my main question is, how long do you think my computer will last?
    Dude. Seriously. Go back and read what I already wrote. I specifically answered that question. It is very irritating to have you ask in the next post.

Nov 22, 2009, 03:52 PM

Thanks mate. :) I have been using Ccleaner for about a year now, I should have mentioned this before I guess, but anyway, it's a great program. :)
    Andrew Carstens Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2009, 09:26 AM

Hahaha. No of corse not. If so then all of the new computer will brake the moment you turn it on. As long as you don't delete the system files you should be good

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Our dog barks a lot [ 6 Answers ]

Our puppy is nearly 6 months old, he's an Old English Sheepdog called Benji and he is lovely! We also have a bichon frise, Alfie who is 4. We always give both of them fuss and love, but when Benji sees us giving attention to Alfie he starts barking. We pay attention to both of them at the same time...

What a mess and in a lot of pain [ 47 Answers ]

Hey guys me and my ex called it quits yesterday because she felt it wasn't meant to be, and I didn't really want to argue about it since I always thought we shouldn't really talk anymore anyway Long story... here we go Met her when I was 18, at the beginning I told her I wouldn't hurt her(I feel...

My cat is vometing a lot [ 12 Answers ]

Hi there, From yesterday evening my cat started vometing, by midday today she was still vometing like evry 1 or 2 hour, but since there is nothing left in her tummy, she is vometing a pinck colour water, sometimes clear sometimes looks like foam, she goes to her food, stare at it then goes to...

Snapper rear rider wants to die when clutch is engaged [ 9 Answers ]

Snapper Model 281123BVE 11 HP starts right up and idles good until the clutch/brake is released. Then is loses most of the power and barely spits and sputters. I have cleaned the carburetor, replaced the spark plug, fuel filter, air filter and cleaner. The seat switch, deck switch and rear...

Will goldfish die if you feed them lunch meat? [ 1 Answers ]

This is a weird question. Yesterday, I fed my sisters fish. And a few weeks ago I saw a TV show that a man trained his goldfish to do tricks, he gave them lunch meat as a food reward. So, I tried this, and the fish loved it! Could they die or be hurt from eating meat?

View more questions Search