Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lalkabsi Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 02:26 PM
    My cat is vometing a lot
    Hi there,

From yesterday evening my cat started vometing, by midday today she was still vometing like evry 1 or 2 hour, but since there is nothing left in her tummy, she is vometing a pinck colour water, sometimes clear sometimes looks like foam, she goes to her food, stare at it then goes to her water, she is drinking a lot, almost all the time, she still doesn't look sick but I'm sure by tomorrow if she stays like this she will lose her energy. I'm very worried about her
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 02:36 PM

If you are that worried about her, and she is vomitting that much, take her to the vet and have her checked out. She could have been poisoned.

Tick

Nov 19, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If you are that worried about her, and she is vomitting that much, take her to the vet and have her checked out. She could have been poisoned.

tick
    Where I live tomorrow is Friday it is the weekend day, all vets will be closed , I spoke to the vet on the emergency number, he asked me to bring her on Sat, he thinks its not serious but I am worried

Nov 19, 2009, 02:58 PM

Where I live tomorrow is Friday it is the weekend day, all vets will be closed , I spoke to the vet on the emergency number, he asked me to bring her on Sat, he thinks its not serious but I am worried
    Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lalkabsi View Post
    Of course you are worried but I can't understand he said to wait another day. Your cat could be dead tomorrow for heavens sake. Yes, where I live its Friday tomorrow as well. So what do you propose to do for her in this condition ? Worry all night until you go on Saturday ? You couldn't have possibly expected us to diagnose, and recommend. We can't do that here.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 04:01 PM

Granted I'm not a cat person but I would be worried about the pink fluid, pink tends to indicate blood.

In dogs the only 'good' colors are clear and yellow (or food)

Is there any way you can get her in?
    I would be insisting that you see a vet, we often have to basically order the vet to see us if it's an emergency, perhaps even just show up at the surgery... your cat vomiting all over their floor might change their mind.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2009, 01:03 AM

Is the foam white? That could be indicating an acidic stomach, which might also account for blood. That might also account for the appetite problem and drinking a lot. Or the inappetance and drinking might be more related symptoms. Just for kicks and giggles, try putting her bowl up on something that is closer to head height.

The thing I'm worried about is her not eating. If it's going to be until Saturday before a vet will see her and she keeps this up, she could be in trouble. (It's not her energy I'm worried about. She can get that back.) Try to get some food in her. You might try enticing her with a little tuna juice on the food, or making it smellier by zapping it in the microwave. (Careful, it burns VERY quickly.) You also might try some meat (no onion) baby food - some cats will eat that when not feeling good. Or even a bit of cooked chicken or something. Those last things are not a permanent diet since they are not complete diets, but that'll do you for a couple of days. Or try anything you know to be a favorite. Try feeding off a finger, or if you have to, see if you can get some in her by putting some on a finger and rubbing the side of her mouth until it opens and then wiping your finger in the corner so the food ends up in her mouth.

If it's only a day, that's OK, but getting more than that, you need to realize the great importance of getting food into her.

Has this just started? Or have you noticed she's been drinking more for a while and maybe getting a bit pickier about her food, or puking just here and there?

Nov 20, 2009, 08:59 AM

Many thanks guys for the advice and all the help, I actually managed to find a vet on the same night yesterday, Shameh, my cat, had a minor food poisoning, Yesterday when I saw the pink fluid I got scared because it reminded me of my cat Darweesheh which I had for 17 years and died of Cancer two years ago, when she died her lungs were full of a similar pink water, I know it is not the same thing here but it just reminded me of Darweesheh, she left a big big space in my life after her death. By the way I have a trick that I always use when my cats stop eating for any reason, I mix the water with little sugar and little salt, and they usually do not feel the difference, this will help to keep the energy, it worked with shameh because in spit of all the vomiting, she was not tired and she did not look sick, this is why the vet thought that it is not serious, he even said that she might be OK tomorrow, but still I wanted to see a vet, Shameh is getting better now.

Tick, I thought that the people who chose to work for humanitarian organizations are usually kind, I don't need anyone to tell me how (for heaven sake) to take care of my cats, I was trying to find a vet, but I thought I get help on line, your reply did not help me at all it was very disappointing.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 08:59 PM

First, there's not a thing wrong with what Tick said. There are a LOT of people who post on here who do need to be told how to take care of their cats - I prefer not to assume any one poster is one of them, but your first post didn't say anything about what you were trying to do about it.

Second, the sugar/salt water thing is more for dehydration, and electrolytes consist of more than sodium. Cats get their energy from protein. Sugar is just a quickie sugar rush (and one their pancreas doesn't really like). They still need food when they're sick and it's still good to try to get at least some baby food down them in that condition.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 10:06 PM

Tick, I thought that the people who chose to work for humanitarian organizations are usually kind, I don't need anyone to tell me how (for heaven sake) to take care of my cats, I was trying to find a vet, but I thought I get help on line, your reply did not help me at all it was very disappointing.
    Tick did help you, the only way we can, by telling you to go to the vet.

What kind of help did you expect? Did you think we could give you a diagnosis? How? We can't do any tests on your cat over the internet. All we could do is guess, and by the time we run out of guesses your cat could be dead.

The vet is your only option.

It never ceases to amaze me that someone comes online, while their animal is vommiting, instead of calling a vet.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 11:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lalkabsi;2094425.

[B
    Tick[/B], I thought that the people who chose to work for humanitarian organizations are usually kind, I don’t need anyone to tell me how (for heaven sake) to take care of my cats, I was trying to find a vet, but I thought I get help on line, your reply did not help me at all it was very disappointing.
    If I had seen this before now I would have responded. People who work for humanitarian organizations usually use their heads quite well when trying to help a person or an animal which doesn't include coming on line and asking for assistance with a sick animal or a sick person. We go for the first line of defence, the doctor, not strangers.

My advice was correct in the first place, your cat had been poisoned. Your animal was in distress, and you are on here asking how to deal with it. You couldn't have been trying very hard to 'find a vet'. I live in a small town and can always, absolutely always get a vet if I need one immediately.

Tick

Nov 23, 2009, 11:45 PM

Many many thanks for being such a great help, I don't really know how to thank you, really, such a nice polite person. You know with people like you idiots like me will be OK, many many thanks.
    Now, can you please stop providing your great help, I would say, lay in bed and try to sleep, this may help you to relax. This is the first time I try to use the online service, and I think it is going to be the last, I don't understand how a person who does not know who I am, woulod give himslef the right to judge me, who are you anyway?? I don't really care. However, I had enough from you so I quit this silly conversation, I don't have the time for this. MY lovely cat Shameh was OK on the next day, when the vet said she will be OK he knew what he was saying, this is when the experts talk, and by the way the vet is Canadian, he is really good. Bye Bye my dear friend. Sleep well
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 11:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lalkabsi View Post
    Many many thanks for being such a great help, I dont really know how to thank you, really, such a nice polite person. You know with people like you idiots like me will be OK, many many thanks.
    Now, can you please stop providing your great help, I would say, lay in bed and try to sleep, this may help you to relax. This is the first time I try to use the online service, and I think it is going to be the last, I dont understand how a person who does not know who I am, woulod give himslef the right to judge me, who are you anyway??? I dont really care. However, I had enough from you so I quit this silly conversation, I dont have the time for this. MY lovely cat Shameh was OK on the next day, when the vet said she will be OK he knew what he was saying, this is when the experts talk, and by the way the vet is Canadian, he is really good. Bye Bye my dear friend. Sleep well
    Of course the vet was right. He is a vet after all.

You still don't get it, do you?

We never said that we were vets. That's why we told you to go to a vet.

Anyone that says they can diagnose a pet over the internet is a liar. Do you know how many pets die every year because some idiot took the advice of someone online instead of going to a vet?

What does your vet being Canadian have to do with anything? Many of the people on this site live in Canada.

As for judging you. We base our responses on the info you provide. We don't know you. We don't know your pet. We give advice based on what you tell us. Don't assume that we know everything about you from a few sentences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Our dog barks a lot [ 6 Answers ]

Our puppy is nearly 6 months old, he's an Old English Sheepdog called Benji and he is lovely! We also have a bichon frise, Alfie who is 4. We always give both of them fuss and love, but when Benji sees us giving attention to Alfie he starts barking. We pay attention to both of them at the same time...

What a mess and in a lot of pain [ 47 Answers ]

Hey guys me and my ex called it quits yesterday because she felt it wasn't meant to be, and I didn't really want to argue about it since I always thought we shouldn't really talk anymore anyway Long story... here we go Met her when I was 18, at the beginning I told her I wouldn't hurt her(I feel...

A princess movie from the 90's with a female who looks a lot like cate blanchett [ 1 Answers ]

I remember I watched this movie on television about a princess of some sort. I can't remember for the life of me what the name of it is. I think there was something to do with snow and ice. And I think that may have been in the title somewhere. I remember the main bad lady was someone who looks a...

Traumatized cat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat got out of our house and we could not get her. We chased her for an hour around the house and could not catch her. We gave up and went inside. Later that night the door was open and we hear a loud terrifying screech. We went outside and the cat was sitting there just hissing. She ran up a...

It seems like a lot of women have trouble picking between their current and their ex [ 8 Answers ]

I noticed that a lot of the more recent posts have to deal with a girl who has feelings for her ex but is dating someone else. I'm still very young so I don't know if this happens a lot, especially if the girl and her ex's relationship was considerably lengthy, or is it just a coincidence that we...

View more questions Search