Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DB414 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Furnace Problems
    My furnace stopped coming on when it was supposed to. I have replaced the ignitor and the thermostat. It comes on blowing hot air and the house gets warm then it won't come on for almost another hour when the house is freezing by then. If it is sixty in the house it should come on when I set it to 65 but I have to crank it all the way up. What can I do to fix this.
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2009, 12:42 PM

Brand,model#,year?

Need this information.

Mower_Man
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mower_man View Post
    Brand,model#,year?

need this information.

Mower_Man
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 05:00 PM

What type of thermostat do you have? Does the furnace work every time you crank the thermostat up? If so. I would say you have a bad thermostat or the heat cycle setting is incorrect. Or, if mercury, it may be out of level and be in need of heat anticipator adjustment. Can you take a pic of the thermostat with the cover on and off. If you have replaced the thermostat with a NEW one, then you most likely don't have a mercury stat. Please let us know what you have, and we will try to help further.

KC. What is this force you speak of, and were can I get it. Would really help in my day to day dutys.

Feb 27, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Brand,model#,year?

need this information.

Mower_Man
    I don't know the year

Feb 27, 2009, 05:23 PM

OK,check the thermostat,what type of t-stat do you have?

Mower_Man
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 05:25 PM

If the furnace works when you crank the thermostat up. Then the problem is most likely not in the furnace. It is in the thermostat which tells the furnace to come on. One way to make sure is to jump r and w at the furnace board when temp is cold in the house. If when you jump r and w, the furnace comes on, then you definitely have a problem with thermostat or thermostat wires. May be as simple as changing some settings on the new thermostat. Please let me know if this appears to be a thermostat problem, or if you suspect other problems. You say you replaced thermostat. Did it make any difference at all? Or does the furnace do exactly the same thing. If no change at all, then I would be led to believe it is something inside furnace. Please try the r w jump test and let me know what you find.

Feb 27, 2009, 05:29 PM

The problem is most likely the t-stat.

Post a pic.

Is it:mercury,programmable,non-programable?

What brand of t-stat?

Mower_Man

Feb 27, 2009, 06:33 PM
    the problem is most likely the t-stat.

post a pic.

is it:mercury,programable,non-programable?

what brand of t-stat?

Mower_Man

Feb 27, 2009, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    what type of thermostat do you have? Does the furnace work every time you crank the thermostat up? if so. i would say you have a bad thermostat or the heat cycle setting is incorrect. Or, if mercury, it may be out of level and be in need of heat anticipator adjustment. Can you take a pic of the thermostat with the cover on and off. If you have replaced the thermostat with a NEW one, then you most likely dont have a mercury stat. Please let us know what you have, and we will try to help further.

KC. What is this force you speak of, and were can i get it. would really help in my day to day dutys.
    It is a heat only non programmable round thermostat. I don't know if it has mercury but it does have to be leveled.How do I jump the R and W wires?

Feb 27, 2009, 06:41 PM
    OK,check the thermostat,what type of t-stat do you have?

Mower_Man

Feb 28, 2009, 06:52 AM

t stat=thermostat
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 07:41 AM
    This unit should have a status LED. Have you checked it for "activity" yet? Look inside the front panel for a label titled "SERVICE". P.S. The "Force" is the universal energy blah blah blah so you know the brand and model just by reading the blah blah blah.

Feb 28, 2009, 08:29 AM
    t stat=thermostat
    It is a round non programmable I don't know if it has mercury but it has to be leveled

Feb 28, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    This unit should have a status LED. Have you checked it for "activity" yet? Look inside the front panel for a label titled "SERVICE". P.S. The "Force" is the universal energy blah blah blah so you know the brand and model just by reading the blah blah blah.
    If you are talking about the furnace led it does come on and gives me a code which tells me it can be 15 different thing s that I don't know what they are.should I name them all off to you
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Find the label titled "SERVICE" and follow the instructions.

Feb 28, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Find the label titled "SERVICE" and follow the instructions.
    It doesn't give me any instructions if I knew what it was talking about I wouldn't be on this website, your force and your answers aren't helping me at all
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 09:18 AM
    Okay... the status light will flash a pattern to display a 2-digit number, the first digit is the short flashes and the second digit is the long flashes. Example: three short, pause, four long, pause, = 34. Pattern will repeat.

Feb 28, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Okay...the status light will flash a pattern to display a 2-digit number, the first digit is the short flashes and the second digit is the long flashes. Example: three short, pause, four long, pause, = 34. Pattern will repeat.
    I know that and it is number 31 and that suggests like 10 different things, would it be easier if I named them to you
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DB414 View Post
    It doesn't give me any instructions if I knew what it was talking about I wouldn't be on this website, your force and your answers aren't helping me at all

Call someone, spend your money,we need answers to help you
    When you go to the docter,you pay him ,and he asks you what is wrong with you. We need a little ifo. In order to help you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat problems or furnace problems [ 22 Answers ]

Is it possible that a thermostat operates correct all the time except when it reaches the temperature that is set doesn't maintain that temperature?:D I noticed that actually that thermostat gives a signal to the furnace but furnace doesn't turn on but that happens only when thermostat needs to...

Gas Furnace Problems [ 5 Answers ]

Here's my problem... I have a gas furnace that is relatively new, about 5 years old. It has an automatic water feeder and I have drained it and it refilled itself. The pilot light is on, and I have just changed the thermostat from the "yo-yo" to a digital one. I have tried connecting the two...

Gas furnace problems [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Tempstar 4 ton gas pack about 9 years old with a hsp igniter system,on a call for a 2 degree temperature rise the furnace mostly works OK. When the thermostat is adjusted to more than 2 degrees,the unit works good for a while and then starts to blow cold air. I have relaced the...

Gas furnace problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have a energy efficient furnace which comes on than egnites the gas than shuts down. Than it recycles and keeps doing it what do I do

View more questions Search