Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigS Posts: 80, Reputation: 6

Dec 26, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Repalcing fixtures
    I am sure my question has been answered before but I looked and looked and still can't find the answer. My bathtub is badly stained and I am working unsuccessfully to remove those stains. When I accomplish that I want to replace the fixtures, to include the metal circle under the faucet and is it possible for me to remove the one by the drain. I have to do it all myself since I can't afford to get a professional. The pipe that comes out of the wall for the shower is partially rusted... is there a way I can replace that little piece without damaging the wall. It is approximately 6 to 8 inches in length. Thanks,
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 01:11 PM

Yes the pipe that comes out of the wall should be threaded onto an "eared L" and that just screws out. Replace with knew and use Teflon tape on threads to install new. I'm Not exactly sure "metal circle" if this is a trim ring single faucet remove handle grip loosen. Loosen two screws holding the ring and replace. If rust in tub try C L R to remove rust. Need better detail on faucet? Is the a old cast iron tub or claw foot. The new faucet should have the "ring" hardware or trim rings. Or get some trim rings they also come as split trim rings.
    Need more Info
    Signed 21 Boat
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 26, 2008, 01:17 PM

There are many options here. Let us know the brand of faucet. Are you looking to replace complete faucet, or just the trim. As far as the cover plate for the waste and overflow(drain covers) you may be able to just replace covers, but would probably be better off replacing complete waste and overflow(if accessable) Same with faucet. If you by chance have a moen, then trim repacement is easy. Just need to know what you are really looking to accomplish. Please keep us updated.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 03:43 PM

As every one asks for the brand and the model number of your faucet, is it possible if you can post a picture of the small pipe for the showere that you are talking about, Thanks.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 26, 2008, 04:26 PM

Yes, the tub drain and upper overflow plug can be easily replaced. Home Depot sells "Touch Down" overflow replacement trim. You will need special drain removal tool, "dumbell wrench" also sold in HD.

Remove that short nipple from the wall, take it to HD with you and get new one. Don't forget to get some teflon tape, too..
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2008, 04:45 PM

See the images below this what Milo is talking about, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

BigS Posts: 80, Reputation: 6

Dec 27, 2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks everyone. The bathtub is just a plain shower bathtub... probably acrylic. The trip lever is on the tub faucet itself (the faucet is a universal tub sprout). When you pull it up it turns the overhead shower on. The tub drain; item "9" (John's photo) is not attached to anything so I want to put a stopper in there so I can fill the tub with water. Then I want to replace the plate that looks like the trip lever in the photo I am looking at from John. I guess it is a face plate. Also can I unscrew that short pipe from the wall or is it far into the wall, the one that is attached to the showerhead. I hope this explanation is better. I also need to know other incidentals I will need to complete the job (besides the thread tape).
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 27, 2008, 02:39 PM
    can I unscrew that short pipe from the wall or is it far into the wall, the one that is attached to the showerhead.
    That short curved chrome pipe,is called a shower arm or gooseneck(see image)and it screws into a drop eared ell,( see image) that's inside the wall.
    You may turn it out counterclockwise. Don't forget to Teflon Tape the threads on the new shower arm. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Store fixtures [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to get a thrift store up & running & I could use any helpful advise, tips, etc. And also if anyone knows how to build my own clothing racks and/or shelving?

Repalcing lawn mower starting cord [ 1 Answers ]

How do I put back a detached Victa lawnmower starting cord?

Repalcing traction drive belt on an '03 JD GT235 [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with the routing on the traction drive belt on my JD GT235 riding mower. Belt broke so I never had a chance to see how it was routed. Thanks

OLD bathtub fixtures [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find a handheld shower that will Fit over an old bathtub faucet. The elderly lady can not afford to put in a shower, she still uses the bathtub, but can't get down in it anymore. Her daughter & I have been looking for a handheld shower that would fit over her existing faucet. Can anyone...

View more questions Search