Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    W Underhill Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Replacing Fuses with Circuit Breakers
    A friend of mine has an older home with fuses rather than circuit breakers. She would like to know if it's possible to purchase breakers which are screw-in replacements for fuses of the same rating. I've been Googling for a couple of hours without success. Has anyone heard of such things? Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 05:34 AM
    What you are looking for is a Type MB mini circuit breaker, with an Edison base, to take the place of a standard fuse.

You can review here:
    http://www.cooperbussmann.com/pdf/fb...785e3de088.pdf

And purchase here:
    20A 125V Circ Breaker BP/MB20 by Bussmann Fuses | DoItYourself.com
    evolkmar Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2008, 08:08 AM

If you know a little electrical you can buy a new panel and use only the guts of it and implant it into th old box. Make sure you position the guts to fit cover breakers opening to go over the breakers, I do it a lot when it is too coplicate to replace the box,

Nov 11, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by evolkmar View Post
    if you know a little electrical you can buy a new panel and use only the guts of it and implant it into th old box. make sure you position the guts to fit cover breakers opening to go over the breakers, I do it a lot when it is too coplicate to replace the box,
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that isn't an option due to budget constraints; I am also pretty sure that would void the UL/CSA certifications.

Nov 11, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    What you are looking for is a Type MB mini circuit breaker, with an Edison base, to take the place of a standard fuse.

You can review here:
    http://www.cooperbussmann.com/pdf/fb...785e3de088.pdf

And purchase here:
    20A 125V Circ Breaker BP/MB20 by Bussmann Fuses | DoItYourself.com
    Ah! That looks like exactly what she needs. Now why I couldn't find this on my own... Anyway, I do thank you for the links. And, Googling on the Bussmann p/n, I see they can be gotten through Amazon.com as well, at a lower price than DoItYourself: Amazon.com: Bussmann #BP/MB-20 20A 125V Circular Breaker: Home Improvement. Thanks very much!
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
    if you know a little electrical you can buy a new panel and use only the guts of it and implant it into th old box. make sure you position the guts to fit cover breakers opening to go over the breakers, I do it a lot when it is too coplicate to replace the box,

Quote Originally Posted by W Underhill View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that isn't an option due to budget constraints; I am also pretty sure that would void the UL/CSA certifications.
    You are absolutely correct W, changing only the interior of a panel as suggested by evolkmar is a violation of UL, and any other third party testing firm, for electrical equipment, and subsequently a violation of NEC.

Perhaps evolkmar has been now informed and will stop this practice.
    evolkmar Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    You are absolutely correct W, changing only the interior of a panel as suggested by evolkmar is a violation of UL, and any other third party testing firm, for electrical equipment, and subsequently a violation of NEC.

Perhaps evolkmar has been now informed and will stop this practice.
    I will not stop, you can think whatever you want. I do not find it a hazard, violation, illegal, dangerous , or any wey you want to call it, UL cl cul or kakashmeck.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
    I will not stop, you can think whatever you want. I do not find it a hazard, violation, illegal, dangerous , or any wey you want to call it, UL cl cul or kakashmeck.
    Huh, are you brain dead?

If you start swapping parts around because you think you can and something goes wrong, not only may you be facing charges for wrongful deaths, but any insurance company or Fire Marshall with his salt is going to find the failing components and know what has been done.

Of course you have now opened yourself up for violating patents and the like.

The reason all of the safety design points and characteristics are there is to protect people from getting dead!

Oh and by the way, not to be petty, but you don't get to make the UL or NEC rules.

Nov 11, 2008, 07:27 PM
    UL - Underwriters Laboratory
    CSA - Canadian Standards Association

The first establishes standards for the US; the second for Canada. Every piece of electrical/electronic equipment sold in Canada and the US has to have either or both, depending on where its being sold.

So you don't find it a hazard, due to your extensive personal experience and vast resources for testing equipment, all of which far outweighs the resources of both the above-named organizations. You also don't appear to be at all concerned that your actions may directly contribute to loss of life and property if you actually ever did this; that you could be held liable for damages and found criminally negligent if anyone got hurt or killed as a result.

Wow. The arrogance is mind-boggling.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2008, 07:43 PM
    W Underhill, have you tried one of the local home improvement centers? We have a Lowe's here and they have an amazing amount of electrical supplies.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2008, 03:53 AM
    evolkmar, you may do whatever you like, it is your license and reputation on the line.

Perhaps you can check with the manufacturer of the panel you dismantle and install for their opinion of the practice.

Check with the local inspector for that opinion.

You should discover that the new panel, or any electrical product, you purchased was tested and approved by UL, as is. Any modification to a product will void any UL listing, in an effort to protect consumers from product failure.

Remember, you are working for the consumer, and have their lives and property at your liability and trust.

So many times I have seen panels changed using the old box, and always leftover parts, like insulating sheets or parts, screws, and panel covers that don't fit properly.

Another missed issue is the box size. Older panels had smaller boxes. Several years ago, all enclosures were increased in standard size, to comply with code, that required additional wire space.

Your customers put their trust in you do to any job properly according to code.

If you are licensed, you took an oath of ethics of following all applicable codes upon accepting that license. There are very good reasons and purposes for these codes.

If you desire to not follow the rules in your business, that is your business. Fortunately, there are several knowledgeable electricians here, and incorrect answers to laypeople will be corrected and explained.

While one answer may be thought to be given to only one person, many other people read this information, and incorrect answers can be taken and I hate to think what will happen if poor advice is followed by some unsuspecting DIY'er.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from fuses to breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to change from fuses to breakers and when I got my breaker box hooked up I had power to my breakers but I didn't have power to my oulets or my lights. I think that it has something to do with the ground wire but I don't know how to hook that up. So I need to know how to hook a ground...

What would it cost to convert fuses to circuit breakers at the electrical panel? [ 1 Answers ]

What would it cost to convert fuses to circuit breakers at the electrical panel?

Price for converting fuses to breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wondering if someone can give me a "rough" estimate on what I can expect to pay to have my fuse box converted to circuit breakers. I already did some price research at HomeDepot and found a decently sixe Box for about $63 which includes the "guts". Then I found matching breakers for about...

What's better; Fuses or Breakers [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking at replacing the service box in my home. The main reason is that coming off the service box are two other switches, one for the Air Conditioning unit and one for other lights in the house. So I would like to get everything in one box. The existing service is a 100 amp Fuse box. I...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search