Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christi_jo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Changing from fuses to breakers
    I'm trying to change from fuses to breakers and when I got my breaker box hooked up I had power to my breakers but I didn't have power to my oulets or my lights. I think that it has something to do with the ground wire but I don't know how to hook that up. So I need to know how to hook a ground wire on my breaker box.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Christi,

Are you experienced enough to have had the sense to contact the LRA and get the requisite permits to change the household set-up? Did you contact the Power company to make sure that you have an adequate electric service supply for the new panel.

Do have enough experience around "Killing Voltage and Amperage" ranges to work inside a panel box?

With all that out of the way, I'm going to guess that you didn't bother with the permits. One should never do that!

Is service delivered to your home as a three wire overhead drop? If so, then you need to make sure that you are using the proper lugs.

Did you purchase a new panel with three (Supply, Supply, Neutral) or a four lug (Supply, Supply, Neutral, Ground). Which one are you using?

Silly question, you did purchase all new breakers that correspond to the load they will be used for? Then you did install them and turn them on, correct?

Did you meter the supply lugs for the correct amount of VAC. The two supplies should show 240 VAC. One supply to Neutral should give you 120 VAC and of course the Supply to the same Neutral will also yield 120 VAC.

Please respond back here to this issue with additional findings or questions. Don
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Photos of the interior of the panelboard, and meter if possible, is the only way this problem will be helped.

For a panel to get changed out, and have this kind of problem, there must be some serious issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrading the panel from fuses to breakers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Don't know everything... but know enough to do a lot on my own. Need to upgrade my home electrical panel from fuses to circuit breakers. So, is it legal that I can do this myself... with a permit and subsequent inspections? Thanks, Steve

Price for converting fuses to breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wondering if someone can give me a "rough" estimate on what I can expect to pay to have my fuse box converted to circuit breakers. I already did some price research at HomeDepot and found a decently sixe Box for about $63 which includes the "guts". Then I found matching breakers for about...

What's better; Fuses or Breakers [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking at replacing the service box in my home. The main reason is that coming off the service box are two other switches, one for the Air Conditioning unit and one for other lights in the house. So I would like to get everything in one box. The existing service is a 100 amp Fuse box. I...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search