Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notanelectrician Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 11:56 AM
    What's better; Fuses or Breakers
    I am looking at replacing the service box in my home. The main reason is that coming off the service box are two other switches, one for the Air Conditioning unit and one for other lights in the house. So I would like to get everything in one box. The existing service is a 100 amp Fuse box. I was wondering what would be the best to replace this service with; A new 100 amp Fuse box, a 100 amp Breaker box, or should I change to a 200 amp Fuse or Breaker box? I've just heard stories that Fuses are the safest.

Help!

notanelectrician
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 12:01 PM
    I'm not an electrician either BTU a quick answer is that fuses need replacing and breakers do not (well not every time a circuit overloads or shorts).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2005, 12:08 PM
    Boxes
    First if you are replacing the main box in your home, please hire an electrician to do the job. You will need to arrange with the power company to shut off power while the box is changed out ( the line coming in is always hot)

Next we would not consider using anything but breakers and they are by far the best.

Next you may also wish to check to see what sort of lead wires are coming into the home and their condition plus if the wires coming into the house are heavy enough for current usage and loads ( plus if they are even up to code) When you change out the main box ( and get the building permit to do so) you may have trouble getting the power connected back if the main lines coming in are not up to code. (ie. High enough off roof, large enough for load and so on)

When changing out the main box, it is a good time to look at all of this so it is done first rate.

A good need is to add up all of the amperage your home uses and figure on future needs tosee what size box you need.

Plus you can not add a box larger than your wiring coming into the house can handle.

** final opinion, have a couple licenced electricians come out, give you their opinons and get estimates from them for the job.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 12:24 PM
    I would go with a 200 amp breaker box if you can. That may mean upgrading your meter and service. In an older neighborhood, the electric company may not want to do it. A local electrician may be familiar with what your local company will do. Also, heed what tkrussel has to say if he answers.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 03:41 PM
    First of all I doubt you will be able to find a new fuse panel any longer. Second, and more importantly, your insurance company that insures your home will not continue the coverage should you manage to install fuses. I am surprised they have not done a survey by now , and find the fuses that you already have, and force you to change to breakers.

As far as which is "safer" , fuses or circuit breakers, both are equal, neither are to be considered unsafe, when used properly. Fuses will be around for a long time, as there are many applications, primarily in industrial or commercial installations, where fuses are and still will be used.

Fuses have certain characteristics that are desired in certain situations. Circuit breakers can replace fuses in many situations. The methods of operations and where fuses are considered is far too complicated to explain here in this forum.

For your home, circuit breakers will work fine, and as I said earlier, the only method approved by insurance companies. There reasoning is that a fuse that is too small for the load can be replaced with a larger fuse too easily by a homeowner, and cause a fire hazard.

And as suggested by another , ask for quotes by several qualified, reputable electrical contractors and hire the best you can afford. Upgrading your service is not for Do It Yourselfers. Only an electrician can perform the proper calculations to arrive at the size of the service that you need.
    notanelectrician Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 07:11 PM
    Thank You!
    Thanks a lot for everyone's reply and information. I will most definitely hire the best I can.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 22, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I would go with a 200 amp breaker box if you can. That may mean upgrading your meter and service. In an older neighborhood, the electric company may not want to do it. A local electrician may be familiar with what your local company will do. Also, heed what tkrussel has to say if he answers.
    Just to clarify. Your electrical contractor will be the one installing the meter pan, service wire from pole/pad, wire from meter to panel, panel, ground rod, cold water ground.

Your Inspector will make sure its done correct and give you a sticker than call the utility for a cut in (this procedure varies from place to place).

The utility will
    a) replace the wire from pole to house if overhead
    Or
    b) Resplice the existing wire to you new service wire (an upgrade is not always needed

Plug a meter in.

Every now and then I actually do the service disconnect reconnect myself. Never enjoy doing it and would rather the utility do it. Being primarily an inside wireman hanging out in a bucket with my linesmans gloves and crimping tool is not my bag of tea. And I am always amazed the utility gives us the go-ahead to do it ourselves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Price for converting fuses to breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wondering if someone can give me a "rough" estimate on what I can expect to pay to have my fuse box converted to circuit breakers. I already did some price research at HomeDepot and found a decently sixe Box for about $63 which includes the "guts". Then I found matching breakers for about...

17 1/2 hp mtd blows fuses [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my dad has an mtd 17 1/2 hp gear drive mower, just after he bought it, it started blowing the fuse. Warrentee took care of that one. That was six years ago, now its blowing fuses again. Replaced the fuse again, but then I installed wire loom on every wire I could get my hands on. The wires...

Switching fuses to breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my first home with my wife. The house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and I hate the thought of having to deal with. We want to switch over to a breaker box, but I have never done this before, so I have some info and some questions... First of all, is this something...

Fuses blowing [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My clothes dryer started blowing fuses. Since it was a 1964 model, we assumed it was on it's last legs and bought a new one. The new dryer is also starting to blow fuses. The dryer is on a separate fuse box from everything else. Nothing has changed where the dryer or fuse box was...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search