Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacysantiago521 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Sudden change of behavior
    Hey everyone. My husband and I have 2 cats who are brother and sister. We've had our babies almost their whole lives and they're about 2 years old. They're both usually frisky, playful with each other and us, affectionate and very much a part of our lives. Sebastian, who has always been the dominant kitty has suddenly had a change in behavior. Since Friday night he has been hiding and afraid to come out in the open. He'll only eat and drink if food or water is brought to him. He hasn't been using the liter box much either. His nose seems a little dry and his eyes are dilated. He purrs and plays, but only if he is under the bed hiding. He refuses to come out. His sister Sabrina, who has been hissing at him since Friday, otherwise seems normal. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow, but I was hoping to hear from someone who might have some ideas. Thanks so much!

Stacy
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 08:02 PM
    The following site may be of use to you. I hope that it is.

Sudden Change in Behavior Can Signal Illness - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Also, please see the links at the bottom of this page.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 9, 2007, 09:15 AM
    It's possible the other cat is starting to assert dominance over him and he is on the losing end of the fight. It might take some time for him to accept he is no longer boss. If that is the case, he'll probably emerge once things are settled down and he feels safe enough to walk the house again.

On the other hand, sudden behaviour changes can also be signs of medical issues - as Clough has indicated in the posted link... So it's good you have him going to the vet to be checked out.

:)
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 9, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Do you have anything he might have gotten into such as plants, etc? Do they ever play rough enough for him to have an abscess somewhere on him from a scratch or bite? There is also the possibility of a urinary tract infection... wish cats could talk! The vet will solve it by process of elimination, I am confident. Let us know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden change [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I started seeing my boyfriend in November and things have been going on well until February. I was really scared about going into the relationship because we are in different states and I've never been in a long distance relationship before. He assured me we would cope and he came to see me a...

Sudden change in urinating outside of crate [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy is about six months old, and we trained her to use a crate (litter box) and she was doing great, she would always go in there, but the last couple of days she wouldn't use it, she would sometimes go to it but then leave and go on the carpet or sometimes even just step her front half in and...

Sudden behavior change [ 2 Answers ]

OK, so as my name might indicate, I know a lot more about dogs than I do about cats, nonetheless through interesting circumstances I have ended up with this kitten. The kitten is female, thusfar unspayed, calico and roughly 6 mo. Old. I have had her for about 5 mo. Now, and she has always been...

A sudden change.. . [ 24 Answers ]

The other night, my girlfriend of two years told me that she wanted to have a break. Now I have never had to deal with this so I am not quite sure what this means. She said she didn't love me anymore the way she did for so long and needed time to figure things out. However she did say she still...

Sudden change in cat's behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Several months ago I adopted a cat from the humane society - shortly after I got her - she stopped eating, so I took her to the humane society vet clinic. It turned out her bone marrow stopped producing red blood cells and she was Jaundice - and had to be put to sleep. The humane society said I...

View more questions Search