Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dfett62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Sudden change in urinating outside of crate
    My puppy is about six months old, and we trained her to use a crate (litter box) and she was doing great, she would always go in there, but the last couple of days she wouldn't use it, she would sometimes go to it but then leave and go on the carpet or sometimes even just step her front half in and still go outside the crate. Do you know why she might be doing this??

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 06:50 AM
    A dog's instinct is to withdraw from the pack's living quarters to relieve itself, not to use a spot within it. I think your best idea is to start over again training it to go outside if possible. I guess you start by taking the litter box outside. Many of the details you need are in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 You need to learn the signs it need to go out and train it to go to the door.
    PJFNME Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Hi! I sent you a private message as well.. but, I just wanted you to know that I am also having this problem with my 13 week old Cavalier/Bichon mix. I honestly don't think it is because she would rather go "outside" because she has never had a problem with using the litter box before. I have several friends who have successfully litter trained their dogs so I know that it can be done. I just have no idea what causes a dog to suddenly stop doing what they had been doing successfully for so long. There has to be something that causes it and something that we can do to change the behavior back to the way it was. If anyone else knows anything.. please let us know! Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2007, 12:18 PM
    It might help if you carefully followed the instructions in the Housebreaking sticky using the pads in place of the outdoor spot. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

I can't guarantee it. Dogs locate the proper spot with their nose. They then squat right there anointing a place the length of their body away from where they sniffed. Males are a little more careful to hit the tree or mailbox post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 Year old not Urinating [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old daughter who is fully potty trained. Everything has been going fine up until a few weeks ago she went to the hospital for dehydration from a stomach virus. Ever since she got back she has been drinking OK and keeping liquids down, but urinating less and less. Now she just...

Dog urinating in their crate [ 6 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old chocolate lab puppy who is with me most of the time, but when I need to leave home in his crate he urinates in it and rolls around in his own urine. How do I get him to stop urinating in his crate? I don't know if it is the type of crate the I use or that he just gets mad at...

Sudden behavior change [ 2 Answers ]

OK, so as my name might indicate, I know a lot more about dogs than I do about cats, nonetheless through interesting circumstances I have ended up with this kitten. The kitten is female, thusfar unspayed, calico and roughly 6 mo. Old. I have had her for about 5 mo. Now, and she has always been...

A sudden change.. . [ 24 Answers ]

The other night, my girlfriend of two years told me that she wanted to have a break. Now I have never had to deal with this so I am not quite sure what this means. She said she didn't love me anymore the way she did for so long and needed time to figure things out. However she did say she still...

Sudden change in cat's behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Several months ago I adopted a cat from the humane society - shortly after I got her - she stopped eating, so I took her to the humane society vet clinic. It turned out her bone marrow stopped producing red blood cells and she was Jaundice - and had to be put to sleep. The humane society said I...

View more questions Search