Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JLater Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2005, 07:10 AM
    Possibly moving to NYC while still working in NJ
    Hi,
    I am wondering about the tax implications of a planned move. I will certainly move to NYC, though where I work remains up in the air. Tax status is single.

I currently live and work in NJ, however, I am contemplating moving to NYC while keeping my job in NJ.

I realize I would probably need to pay NYC taxes, but what about state taxes?

On the other hand, I could move to NYC and get a job there (somewhat higher salary) as well. Is that a better plan?

Thanks in advance!!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 23, 2005, 08:18 AM
    JLater:

General rule:

If you work in one state and live in another, both states will tax your income, but the live-in state will normally give you a credit for the taxes paid in the work state.

If you live in NJ and work in NYC: NY state taxes are higher than NJ, so payment of the NY state taxes will usually offset any NJ taxes owed. In this case, have only NY state taxes withheld from your pay. As for NY City taxes, they are NOT due unless you live in NYC.

If you live in NYC and work in NJ, the offset will not be total and you will probably owe some taxes to NY state, but it will not be too much. To be sure, you should have both NJ and NY taxes withheld from your paycheck.
    harpbynina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2005, 07:05 AM
    Live in NYC... Work in NJ
    I am in the situation today: I live in NYC and work in NJ (new job). I notice you say to have taxes withheld in both states.

If I can calculate the difference in State tax rates, wouldn't it be better to either have the difference withheld to NY state or just pay quarterly the difference? Otherwise, the entire NY state tax rate will be withheld and paid to NY state and I will just get a refund of that money (minus the difference) at tax time.

Thanks for your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 15, 2005, 08:14 AM
    Harpbynina:

NJ will probably NOT give you the option of withholding only for NY state/NYC. They want to be sure to get their taxes before you have a chnace to spend it and to keep you from conveniently "forgetting" to file a NJ tax return.

Other than that minor detail, the states normally do not care how you pay the taxes, just as long as you do pay in a timely manner.
    harpbynina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2005, 06:59 PM
    More on NY/NJ Taxes
    Sorry:

I wasn't suggesting I "forget" about the other state. I now have a couple of pay stubs. Money is being taken out for both states, the larger amount is taken out by NJ. The smaller amount for NY (about 10% of what the NJ figure is). So I assume it is close to being correct.

Thanks for your advice.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 1, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Harpbynina:

I did not mean to imply that you were attempting to evade your state income tax liability. The fact that you are addressing this issue on this forum clearly shows that you are addressing this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could this possibly be a mental disorder [ 15 Answers ]

My husband has the following symptoms. Very moody Short temper Insecure Jealous Impulsive (spending money) Likes to drive too fast Disregard for authority (won't listen to me or anyone else) Work-a-holic

Implantation bleeding.. Possibly pregnant?advice needed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi yes my husband and I are Trying to conceive. I got off BCP on June 24th. And we had unprotected sex sevearl times in July. I took an ovulation test on the 24th and it showed I was ovulating. We had sex the 22nd-24h and the 27th. I had some cramps which felt like my period was coming. Since my...

Possibly losing it all... [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have recently entered into a chapter 13 bankruptcy in which there has been major snags along the way. Upon entering my vehicle has been reposed in which took about a month to be returned. My "lawyer" somehow did not file paperwork correctly which resulted in a dismissal of my case. ...

Moving soon W/GSD pup [ 7 Answers ]

Hello and thanks ahead, u guys are awsome.. -- I have a 10 mo old gsd and we are moving soon to a house with a yard - right off a main st, ( acually is main st ) anyway he loves to play and be out -- I was wondering if the wireless fence is a good option , or just train him to stay in yard - but...

Disentegrated (Possibly Lead) pipe in concrete slab for S-trap [ 5 Answers ]

1-1/4 trap broke off level with the slab in my ground floor BR. Listening to bad advise, I tried prying away the remainder of the trap in the floor, now what appears to be soft soft lead pipe has tottally disintegrted and I see down to the dirt and the remainder of the pipe under the slab. I...

View more questions Search