Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pushenoy_1305 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 10:25 AM
    ITIN for L2 dependent
    Hi,

I have couple of question on Dependent filling, please help me in understanding.

1. I came to US on March'07. My spouse and kid joined me on May'07. My wife & kid will be staying for 6 month and then leaving back to India. Can I change my W4 status to Married and get the tax benefits on spouse and child tax credit.
    2. Since my wife is not working. She came here on L2 visa. When should I get her ITIN.
    3. I am not sure, but FAQ says that ITIN should be applied when I will do my returns filing for Yr 2007. But when I do e file, for filing status Married filing jointly, it ask for my spouse and kid SSN. How should I then proceed with e filing without ITIN or SSN. How I can complete my e filing and send to IRS along with W7. I am confused on this process
    4. What reason should I use for my spouse and kid while filing W7 form. Since I am frequently travelling US on L1 visa since July'06, but my wife and kid joined me from May'07 onward.
    - Dependent / Spouse of a nonresident alien holding a US visa?

5. If I am in India during tax filing, can I notorize my wife and kid passport photocopy in India for W7

Thanks in advance for your valuable response,

Prakash
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 08:06 AM
    1) If you file jointly with your wife, you should be able to claim BOTH of their exemptions and qualify for the Child Tax Credit.

2) You will submit Forms W-7 with your 2007 tax return for ITINs for both wife and child.

3) You CANNOT efile; it must be mailed with the W-7s.

4) Option e: Spouse of resident alien, and Option f: Dependent of resident alien.

5) Yes, though it is best if you can get the passport photocopies certified at the U.S. consulate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tourist Visa ITIN/Dependent [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I am a resident alien living in US from the past 7 years. Filing Status: married & filing jointly with one kid. My Mother-in-law (from India) came to US on tourist visa (B2) in 2006 and lived with us for 7 months (210 days). She is not a US Citizen and as such does not have an SSN. She is...

Dependent, 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

My income is exempted from tax (no need to file returns) and my spouse (got work authorization from my employer) must file 1040 NR. We both are from India and have a US citizen child of age 3 years. I have couple of questions. 1) Can my spouse claim child as a dependent? 2) Is it single filing...

ITIN for my Dependent Wife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US for the first time on Auguest 28th 2006. I am on L1 visa and I have my wife and Child along with me. For IRS tax filing for 2006 , what is my status --Resideint Alien or Non Resident Alien ? Do we (me and wife) need to file Jointly? If yes while filing online , its...

Spouse as dependent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm filing as "married filing jointly". My wife doesn't have a job and did not earn anything for 2006. Aside from checking the exception for my wife (Form 1040 line 6b) , can I add her in the list of dependents (line 6c) ? Thank you very much.

Questions about dependent [ 5 Answers ]

I am holding H1-b visa since Sept.2006. I filed my tax return as resident in 2005 since I have been in US for more than 6 years. Here I have two questions about my tax return: I just have a baby in US in Dec.2006, can I claim my baby as an independent for the tax file of year 2006? If yes, what...

View more questions Search