Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpally Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Rigged 3" Soil Pipe
    Need ideas desperately! I've got a bath that I retiled as I hated the 6" glossy white tile on the floor and subway white tile in the shower. House was bought new 1-1/2 years ago.
    Here's the problem. Didn't realize the toilet was 10" rough in. Knew everything fell of the toilet lid because it was narrower and sloped. (really annoying) Also noticed in passing that all the toilet tanks in the whole house were abnormally snug to the wall. Though this never dawn on me as an issue when I decided to have my new tile design go up the wall.
    The toilet can't be put back in now because the tile made the wall 1/4" or so thicker.

After much research and anguish over this (bath with no toilet is a serious problem) I thought I had solved the problem with an off set flange. Went home with all I needed to straighten this dilema right out. Would even be able to replace the 10" toilet (which I cracked during tile demolition) with a 12" rough toilet. Now I would be able to put all those pretty nick nacks on the tank lid without them falling off. (It's a girl thing I know)

I am ready, tools in hand. I look down at the pipe, @%!^ It's a 3" pipe not the 4" that everyone I talked to assumed it would be. Not only that but it appears they had to gouge out the support beam to wedge the soil pipe in to only truley be 9.75" rough causing the snug wall fit. In another bath, toilet tank is actually glued to the wall and the lid bearly rests on it! This is an expensive semi custom home!

Anyway, what can I do? I don't want to rip the tile off the wall. Can't use an offset flange even if they make one for a 3" pipe because I would have to cut the support beam too much. I just put all the new tile on the floor so I don't want to rip it up, cut out the subfloor to try and frame within the support beams to allow for cutting the one so I can correct the rigg job they did with the soil pipe.

I need a solution desperately as my son sharing a bathroom with his sister is not going really well! Also, though the tile is beautiful I think a bathroom should have a toilet it one of the points of the room. You can only distract someone so long with great tile. Sooner or later they will notice the hole in the floor and lack of toilet!
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpally
    Need ideas desperately! I've got a bath that I retiled as I hated the 6" glossy white tile on the floor and subway white tile in the shower. House was bought new 1-1/2 years ago.
    Here's the problem. Didn't realize the toilet was 10" rough in. Knew everything fell of the toilet lid because it was narrower and sloped. (really annoying) Also noticed in passing that all the toilet tanks in the whole house were abnormally snug to the wall. Though this never dawn on me as an issue when I decided to have my new tile design go up the wall.
    The toilet can't be put back in now because the tile made the wall 1/4" or so thicker.

After much research and anguish over this (bath with no toilet is a serious problem) I thought I had solved the problem with an off set flange. Went home with all I needed to straighten this dilema right out. Would even be able to replace the 10" toilet (which I cracked during tile demolition) with a 12" rough toilet. Now I would be able to put all those pretty nick nacks on the tank lid without them falling off. (It's a girl thing I know)

I am ready, tools in hand. I look down at the pipe, @%!^ It's a 3" pipe not the 4" that everyone I talked to assumed it would be. Not only that but it appears they had to gouge out the support beam to wedge the soil pipe in to only truley be 9.75" rough causing the snug wall fit. In another bath, toilet tank is actually glued to the wall and the lid bearly rests on it! This is an expensive semi custom home!

Anyway, what can I do? I don't want to rip the tile off the wall. Can't use an offset flange even if they make one for a 3" pipe because I would have to cut the support beam to much. I just put all the new tile on the floor so I don't want to rip it up, cut out the subfloor to try and frame within the support beams to allow for cutting the one so I can correct the rigg job they did with the soil pipe.

I need a solution desperately as my son sharing a bathroom with his sister is not going really well! Also, though the tile is beautiful I think a bathroom should have a toilet it one of the points of the room. You can only distract someone so long with great tile. Sooner or later they will notice the hole in the floor and lack of toilet!
    They do make offset closet flanges in 3", but I'm not sure that is going to solve all of your problems.

If the floor joists are accessible from below via a basement or crawlspace, it might be worth your while to hire a competent and bonded carpenter to come in and head the floor joists off.

I'd suggest getting at least three estimates and then, if your gut agrees, go with the middle estimate.

May 31, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the advise. This is a second story bath so I think they can get to it by taking out part of the ceiling in my 1st floor powder room. I'm not sure I understand what exactly they need to do structurely to the joists to remove part of the one joist to allow for the correct placement of the soil pipe. Can they create a frame like you would for a window and remove the joist from the interior of that frame and not compromise the integreting of the support joist? Thanks for your help.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpally
    Can they create a frame like you would for a window and remove the joist from the interior of that frame and not compromise the integreting of the support joist? Thanks for your help.
    If the original framing is structurally sound, then a competent carpenter shouldn't have any difficulties in heading off one of the floor joists.

Jun 1, 2007, 04:04 AM
    Thanks, for all the help. I'm going to start getting some bids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double-standards, mixed blood, and the "law of soil" [ 1 Answers ]

I am an American born first-generation Japanese. My early childhood was spent in a black neighborhood, and my adolesence in white suburbia. I do not know my native tongue fluently, although every day I wish that I had been taught as a child. I would like to know the opinions of others who were born...

Soil pipe leak (I think) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, we have a problem with the soil pipe that we first noticed because of smells in the upstairs toilet. We recently began redecorating the kitchen, which is located below and to one side the toilet, and seem to have unleashed a similar smell (but quite a bit more potent). The housing which...

Soil pipe extension [ 2 Answers ]

I am putting in a new bathroom floor and replacing the toilet. I am adding a half inch plywood and ceramic floor tile (grouted). How do I extend the height on the soil pipe?

Soil pipe problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have an existing 4" vent stack with an old lead elbow coming from the toilet connected to the vent pipe through what looks like a tee. Now I have to get rid of the lead elbow and replace it with abs the problem I have is what to use to connect the abs to the cast iron tee after I get rid of...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

View more questions Search