Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrfredde Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Electrical Rewire a Entire Home built in 1944- 1951 ?
    I had a inspector inspect my home to sell. He identified two prong outlets in kitchen needed to be replaced with gfi outlets. Ok done ! But also mention that several other plugs and 100 amp panel was ungrounded and not safe.

Had electrian come out, he reccomened to rewire the entire home for $ 5,500 to $ 6,800 to make if safe to sell and or buyers with a loan.

I understand I could utilize some type of installed ground fault interrupters in between the junction boxes in the attic or install a pig tail ground wire on each existing metal box or replace all two prong outlets with a grounded boxes.

I having trouble getting a electrian, interested in looking at alternatives to resolve my problem. Thanks rf
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Grounding Panel should cost no more than $200.00 at very most. (unless Very unusual)
    He may need the work. If I was Buying a house. I would rather buy it as is. And wire for
    My needs than, pay more for house, how you want. Maybe give Buyer Option.
    Good luck
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Your home most likely is wired without an equipment ground to each outlet box. Depends on the cable type. If non-metallic cable, the sheathing looks like black fabric, then this is only a 2 wire cable and does not have a ground at any of the outlets.

This can be corrected by installing a GFI breaker on each circuit, or a GFI receptacle at the first outlet on a circuit, or one in each outlet, whichever is best to cover the circuits.

If the cable is metal BX, then the sheathing is allowed to be an equipment ground. Each box should be grounded and you can install the 3 wire outlets with the jumper to the box.

The panel needs to be grounded properly no matter what issue exists for the outlets, and I agree with Strat the cost should not be too great to have this corrected.

As far as the home wiring, there are too many variables for any of to advice beyond what has been offered so far.

The work of re-wiring an older home is quite frankly, bull work. Not may electricians enjoy doing that type of work, esp when there is so much other easier work on going. Keep trying looking for contractors, but if the market is that busy where you live, I would be suspect of any contractor that takes this job.

Be sure to ask any contractor that does work for you for a written contract listing the exact scope of work, types of materials to be installed, how long the job will last, provide certificates of liability and worker comp insurances, do no give any money up front, and be sure there is a permit and the work is inspected.

Maybe too late for this school year, but you can try any vocational technical schools that offer electrical courses and see if they have classes go out into private homes to do wiring as on the job training. They cost will be greatly reduced, the work will be perfect, just one compromise, it may take a month of Sundays to get the job completed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil furnace not heating the entire home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! My name is Matt! I currently work for an HVAC company. Had a question about a residencial forced hot air oil burning furnace. The burner is working just fine but is not heating the entire home properly. There is one room in the house, the master bedroom, and a small bathroom that need to be...

Electrical Outlets in Home [ 2 Answers ]

:( Help... All the electrical outlets on the left side of my home stopped working after using the vacuum in one of those outlets. Everything on that side stopped while vacuuming. I checked the breaker box and all looks fine, Which should be my next steps. My home is a little over a year old. I...

Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater. The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no...

Mobile Home Electrical Service [ 6 Answers ]

Thgis is a combination electrical/legal guestion. Who is responsible for the service drop in a mobile home park? I live in Pennsylvania and was recently told by a human services agency here that weatherization could not be started on my mobile home until a problem with the main electrical...

Map of Home Electrical System [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again. I just bought a new (to me) home and want to get a handle on the electrical system. The home has 100amp service with a breaker box (95% of slots filled). What is the best way to determine what outlets and switches in the house are connected to which breakers, and how much room I have to...

View more questions Search