Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike4926 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Roommate Violates Personal Rental Agreement, Won't Leave.
    Hello all, if anyone can help me with this sticky situation please help!

My roommate (now exgirlfriend) moved in recently and started causing trouble. She is not on the lease, has never been referred to as a tenant by the manager, and pays less than 10% of the total rent for her own bedroom, which she uses for her son (no biological relation to me). She has no receipts of anything paid though, and furthermore when the manager threatened to kick both of us out because of her (and her friends) loud and violent behavior she signed a formally written list of rules, i.e. on noise level, keeping violent friends of hers out of the apartment, etc. The rules also stated that if she violated any of the agreements she and her son would have to leave immediately (as she has about half a dozen other places to go), and of course this hasn't been the case.

I'm in a tight spot now as the manager said at first based on the agreement I could kick her out at anytime, then backed out of it a day later and said she had 30 days. Since then the cops have come over almost daily because of her violent temper-tantrums and the manager is now mad at both of us because of this. Please somebody tell me what rights I have regarding this situation and more importantly how I can get her out of the apartment ASAP, before the manager decides to evict both of us.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Even if she never paid a dime she has now established herself as a resident. Your ex recentky moved in, how did you think that was going to work for you? File formal eviction papers through the courts. You can do it without a lawyer. She's going to get herself at least 30 days in the home on your dime. The manager will have a very difficult time trying to evict you unless you aren't paying all your rent on time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My roommate doesn't want to pay or leave [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my situation is started to share my apartment with a guy a month ago, we have written contract with each other but his name its not on the lease. After argument we had recentely he refused to pay the rent and he doesn't want to leave also. I give him 3 days notice of pay or quit and also 30...

The roommate that won't leave HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

Help!! I have an off beat situation. I rent a large apartment with two floors, I have shared rent with the guy upstares, the rent all together is $1400.00 per month, now I'v decided to ask the guy to leave and he took it on himself to stay for the next three months rent free. Hes...

Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was anxious to relocate & she gave a deposit & rent for a place that she had not seen the inside of. After being given the keys, she went to the duplex & discovered it was MUCH smaller then expected. She was not able to contact the manager the remainder of the weekend so on the 3rd...

Is this rental agreement still binding [ 5 Answers ]

My husband & I paid a Real Estate Agency to rent our home & collect the rent etc. for a fee. It was going smoothly until someone supposedly embezzled money from the company. The company went out of business. We were wondering if the renters are still obligated to pay us the same way they were...

Rental Lease Agreement [ 7 Answers ]

My roommate and I recently rented an apartment. We are already having some problems with the lessor. Upon signing the lease agreement, the leasing consultant was in a big hurry to get us through all the paperwork. She did not verbally go over all the items in the lease agreement. We were very...

View more questions Search