Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rissawag2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Screwed up Registry
    Hi!

I really hope some one can help me. This is a windows issue but it all started with a printer. I was trying to install a new lexmark printer on a terminal server that runs Windows 2000 Server. It appeared to install normally but it would not print. I then discovered that the print spooler had stopped, so I restarted it, but the printer still would not print. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers twice and it still would not print. The last time I uninstalled the driver and was about to add the drivers via the windows add printer wizard but again the printer spooler had stopped and this time I could not start it again.

I checked the dependencies and all but the LexBce Server wold start. Then I did a little research and found an article that said that all I had to do was the delete the entries in the registry that pretained to LexBce Server under the pritner dependencies and I would be fine because now the only thing the spooler would be depend on would be the RPCSS.

I had be at it for two days and thought that I had finally found the answer and in my haste I neglected to backup my registry first. Now there are no dependencies under the print spooler so naturally it still won't start!

Am I effectively screwed or could I use a dos command to make RPCSS the only dependency for the print spooler? I found sc config spooler depend= RPCSS but Windows 2000 will not recognize the command. Is there a similar command that I can use for Windows 2000 Server?

Also could I use a regisrty cleaner to repair it? And lastly, if I upgrade it to Server 2003 would that fix the problem and would all my files and security that I have in place for all the users of that terminal server still be in place?
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

May 23, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Yes, Yes you have screwed up, there is no sane way to re-write the dependancies, there has never been a need to re-write them... so that's a no... registry cleaners just fix orphaned/redundant reg entries they don't repair missing registry what you could do is go to another windows 2003 server, back that reg up, and use it on yours... it won't over-write yours, but simply fill in all gaps, but you will need to run a cleaner after to remove all entries that were unique to the other computer as they are useless on yours. Your last option you mentioned is also feesable, Server 2003 would re-write the rigistry, again filling in all gaps, but it depends how you install is as to weather you keep your files or not. If it's an "Upgrade" then all your files will be fine, but if it's just a cleam install, then you'll need to back everything up, or move it to a different partition on the HD.

Sorry for your computer troubles - Rate Answer please :)
    rissawag2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Hi C_starrs

Thank you for the resounding confirmation of my mess:o Anyway, what I did was looked another server that was not screwed up and manually edited the registry entry. It worked and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Thank you for the suggestions though!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Screwed up [ 9 Answers ]

Okay... I got a call from Asset Acceptance... or was it a billl... Anyway I had a sprint bill that I had about 6 months ago and they said they were collecting on a sprint account I -umed it was the one from six months ago. I didn't request validation. I sent them a payment. I received a...

I screwed up [ 25 Answers ]

I called up girlfriend last night because we usually always talk before we go to sleep. I was drunk and for some reason I don't remember I ended up flippin out on her. I called her today and said I was sorry and asked if I could meet her at work for lunch so we could talk about it. She said that...

This is truly screwed up. [ 2 Answers ]

This is a little lengthy, so I'll try to make it short but clear. For Mother's Day, I had my hair colored a reddish brown and highlighted at a salon. I absolutely loved it. I've been contiplating on going back but haven't because of the money. My friend offered to help and we chose a color close to...

My ex might have really screwed me... [ 230 Answers ]

This is my first post here, and I am going through hell right now, I feel like I have no where to turn so I need some REAL advice PLEASE. I am 24 and my grlfriend (well X now) is just turned 21 TODAY. She went on a semseter at sea trip this summer for about 2 months and everything was great. I have...

I screwed up [ 4 Answers ]

I made a mistake and lied to my girlfriend. She told me she never wanted to see me or talk to me again. This girl is the only girl I have felt this way for and I cannot stop thinking about her. Right now she is now talking to me but it only about how mad she is at me and keeps asking why I did it....

View more questions Search